Does HSV-2 positive IGG, and negative HSV IGM mean i am not infectious?

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with HSV-2 from a positive IGG test.

My doctor got me to do and HSV IGM test, and said that the HSV IGM test is the basis for knowing if the HSV-2 virus is dormant or has/is active in my body. 

So, in other words, his stance is: 

HSV-2 IGG Positive = I'm a carrier

HSV IGM Positive = Virus is active, or i am infectious

HSV IGM Negative = Virus is inactive, i am not infectious

My IGM came back negative, so according to him, i can have intercourse without being worried about my partner contracting HSV-2.

Is this true? I can't find any decent source online that backs this up.  

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

From what I understand a positive IgG that the blood test has detected antibodies from past exposure but not exactly when. It takes at least 3-6 months for body to produce enough antibodies .  The IgM test according to some readings are highly unreliable and not approved by the FDA. My doctor gave me the same results. You have herpes and can give it to someone else if having a recurrent outbreak or through viral shedding. 
  • Posted

So I don't know much about people being carriers, however I never got told anything about the virus being inactive, if you have herpes you have herpes and as the normal guidelines is that when you have an active sore or are shedding the virus you are infectious. When u do not have active sores you are not infectious and therefore are less likely to transfer it to a partner. 

So if you use protection and obviously don't have sores just be careful about shedding, usually felt be tingling or itching, you should be safe. 

• Posted

In my opinion once you have herpes nothing out there provides Or absolutely gaurantees you will not transmits herpes to your sex partner.  You will always live in that fear!
  • Posted

I read something really scary that said you can be shedding the virus even when there are no symptoms i.e. tingling, burning etc, and so you are always infectious. Not sure what to make of that and not sure if it's true. Does anyone have any further information regarding this?
    • Posted

Shedding is common I don't know if we are continuously shedding I know I've been told by doctors it's usually felt by yea itching tingling. I've got two friends with Herpes and have understanding partners and have unprotected sex and have not transferred it so I don't think we shed the virus continuously 
    • Posted

I don't think that we are continously shedding I was told that we shed when we have an outbreak. I had a blister in my genital are that was very painful

my doctor did the test and the Igg was poaitive and the Igm was negative and what he said to me was don't wory because a lot of the US population test positive for herpes. did not give me any nedication or any recomendation. I decided to take a home remedy base of the aloe vera plant and have not a breakout for years now

• Posted

Hello. I had a positive IGG, negative IGM. My doctor did not diagnose me with herpes bc I did not present with symptoms. I had to force them to draw my blood bc they said I have chapped lips. I'm nervous to carry on a relationship. Any advise? Do you tell people you have herpes? Have you tried Lysine, and or Monolautin. If so do you find them helpful? And feel that is why you do not shed? Thanks in advance, this has really stressed me out?

• Posted

I'm currently going through the same thing. Have you dated, do you tell people you have herpes? Have you tried Lysine or Monolaurin, do you find they help?

• Posted

If you find out an answer do share. My provider wouldn't diagnos me Bc I have no symptoms. I have the same exact testing

• Posted

Hi I've been tested yesterday and received my results today, I have been confirmed positive hsv1 igg(3.9) igm(2.7) hsv2igg(2.9)him(.6) I've been reading alot about false positive, is there a chance that this could be a false positive, I've never had any symptoms.

• Posted

Hi there. Are both your hsv 1 and 2 positive on both igg and igm? If so ,according to my doctor, you caught hsv 2 first since an hsv 1 carrier develops antibodies to resist hsv 2. I suggest you get re-tested because its nearly impossible to test positive on both hsv's with them active as such and no symptoms at all.

• Posted

When my results (same as yours) came out I was very upset. I felt like I was officially a social problem although my doctor told me that 80 to 95% of the world adult population has the same results. I had to end my relationship because I could not tell my partner that I was diagnosed with herpes since I know for a fact that I got it from my previous relationship.

My point is, this is a chronic disease but its really not as worrisome as people paint it to be. For those in committed relationships, avoid having sex if u have sores or itching/tingling because that's when you are most likely to infect your partner.

• Posted

I am wondering if it is possible that my chronic issues with sinitus and bronchitis can impact my igg test? Last year I was tested and was negative and this year I'm positive...in that time frame I have had bronchitis once and sinitus 3 to 4 times, 1 in which I had borderline bronchitis...I know that chronic issues can impact the test and I want to know if it is possible before I open the door with having the conversation about my results with my husband. Can someone please help me here? All of this information is overwhelming being that I found out 24 hours ago...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.