Does Loperamide prolong withdrawal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi

So i am on day 13 of opiate withdrawal and still not feeling great.

although most of the WDs have subsided I am still getting goosebumps, hot and cold chills, general crappy feeling and dhiarrea. I've been taking lopermide (6 a day) on and off to help with the dhiarrea but I have read somewhere that it can actually prolong the WDs as it's a very weak opioid.

Does anyone know if this is true? my doc prescribed me like 100 of them.

I also still struggle to sleep.

trent

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Trent, i dont think it does prolong WD. it is an opiate but it doesnt break through some barrier like other opiates. what are you WDing from and how long were you on it?

• Posted

Hi ReeRee

yeah I thought that was the case as why would the Doctor prescribe it after stopping my pain meds cos I was addicted and abusing them

I have been on about 400 -600 mg of Codeine for about 5 years every day.

trent

• Posted

hi trent, i was also heavily addicted to codiene, and tramadol. WDs really suck. i found that clonodine really helped, it reduced the prickly skin/hot and cold feeling. Did you consider reducing slowly? i tried that but id just end up gobbling up the weeks supply in a day. truth be told, my codiene habit only ended when it nearly killed me. Just before xmas i had to have emergancy surgery to repair my ruptured stomach which was caused by all the nurofen plus i was taking. i was in hospital for a month, i very nearly died.

• Posted

reeree i kicked max morphine so watch what you tell her as you are addicted you cant give advice if you are hooked

• Posted

get what im saying not being nasty reeree but trentsteel your brain is playing games it wants more for its fix

now its bound to 5-6 years is a long time spect you will always have a thought of taking one once in a while when upset or in pain brain will jump into gear, spect months lucky really spring summer picked a nice time to boot the addiction goose bumps or the chills or not sleeping is no excuse to take a pill . focus on things you like doing get your self a plan for the next day in place hour by hour say thats what i am doing then.

no plan no focus then your brain will have nothing to think of bar lets give you the goose bumps walk ride book swim i dont know but have next day planned .plan shouldnt be next pill or substitute .i read these muppets say gabbapentin or the othe others to take instead they are addictive and its stupid jumping into one addiction into another reeree i know you mean best but kick them not get another addiction started not being nice am i sorry but cruel to be kind

• Posted

lloyd, where have i suggested swapping one addictive drug for another? i havent. However there are certain, non addictive meds that can help ease the symptoms such as clonodine. it helped with the prickly skin and hot/cold skin feelings. unfortunately though there is no miracle cure. Trent you have done amazingly well though to get where you are. i unforunatly have this to come, i recently had major surgery and almost died so i am on morphine and gabapentin, both of which will give me awful WDs when i stop taking them. lloyd is right in part of his message though, you would benefit from having a set plan each day. try to go for a walk etc, keep yourself occupied. Just out of interest, how did you get onto codiene in the first place and what made you decide to stop? were you getting scripts from your doc or buying over the counter?

• Posted

sorry reeree just operated on me self and waiting on another in 3 months time reeree sorry reeree bit board me and reading so much on people getting hooked on medication .

A+ on kicking reeree and just wish for people to not get stuck into medication that is difficult to kick ,

not up to much so just putting my cent in

didnt want you to be offended cant if i do just say what i say sorry ADHD NEVER one for messing around you mean good reeree just thought maybe if no pain left thought kick it med wise , not very tender or sympothetic to drugs as seen few of my mates die from drugs drink so just dont think its nice to see anyone mess around really on medication thinking they can chop and change i am no angle on medication but have the pain to be on what ever really i wish thats why i jumped in, kicked the morphine but thought that was the difficult one ummm didnt think on codine being an issue i will shut up , anyway shout if board and chills lol they will go and if depressed hay ho few hours sleep and vroom might of jumped at reeree as she said lloyd she would help me so there you go reeree you helped probably as took a bit of a pop and ment not to, stay good both you two i will shut up as it is difficult coming of the pills .

sorry reeree so trent listen to reeree as she will be kinder we will both be there hows that sound reeree can be nice part of the ying and the yang i will be the grumpy jump of it side quick both want the same for you wish best of luck and me and reeree can argue on it ok reeree sorry reeree

no angle my self but got the pain

• Posted

hi and well done for getting through the withdrawals, please dont worry about the loperamide extending the withdrawals it certainly doesnt ,it contains such a weak dose of opiate ,so huge congratulations for getting so far ,keep going ,could you dr prescribe a short course of sleep medication just to see you through this difficult time x

• Posted

Sound like an infection of some sort. Perhaps kidney, liver and digestive system problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.