Does Pilonidal cyst surgery even work???

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve got what I’m almost 100% sure is a pilonidal cyst. It’s about the size of a pea on the tailbone and has been non stop draining for about 2 months. It hasnt burst or let go of any hair. Unfortunately however I didn’t get to voice those suspicions about it being a pilonidal cyst to my doctor because I only discovered the existence of pilonidal cysts after my appointment.

My doctor described what I have as a skin growth and that it has a minor infection. He got me to use some antibiotic cream for a couple of weeks to see if it got better, but unfortunately it got worse with the cream. I went back for the second time and he said I’m going to have to have surgery on it to get it cut off. 

1. Firstly I’ve never heard of anyone in any forums I’ve visited getting their pilonidal cyst cut off. Am I wrong about that? 

2. I’ve seen numerous people saying the surgery does almost nothing as it comes back really quickly. Is this really true? 

3. Is it possible that these pilonidal cysts come back for some people because they’re still doing whatever caused the pilonidal cyst in the first place after the surgery? 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You'll either have open wound surgery--drain and surgically remove the cyst leaving a gaping hole in a rather uncomfortable place *talking from experience*. Or you'll have closed wound, they will drain and surgically remove the cyst but stitch it back together. Either way your buggered really both have high chance of infection, and high chance of cyst returning or you could be super lucky and have neither. If you have open, be prepared for very long recovery time and embarrassment of getting it changed and dressed everyday. Find a good doctor/nurse that you trust and listens to you after you have the surgery, its comon that a lot are inexperinced or unqualified to deal with this issue, and literally have no clue on whag tk do with you and end up interfering with recovery time. Hope it all goes well! 🤓

• Posted

1. Pilidonal cyst has to be cut out, not cut off.

The cyst goes approx to the tailbone. The hair is wrapped around the and twisted.

If you do not have it taken care off you will have a lot of the tissue running tracks. Tracks are as I was told like if you look at an any bed. You can see tracks ants has made, and they keep going till they reach the skin surface and bust out.

2. Yes there is a chance of recurring again due to not completely cut out.

Just a small amount of track will cause it to just keep growning.

3. Yes you need to make adjustments to your activity like if you sit a lot, change the habit.

Do not go to a general surgeon!!!!

Go to a colon and rectal surgeon.

My son had 3 different surgeons do a total of 8 pilidonal cyst disease surgeries. His 9th time it busted through the skin again. We went to the rectal surgeon and he went in and found old tracks that never were cut out. Also, Drs like to use a wound vac, out last surgeon does not like them because it is healing too quick and also a recipe for infection.

Dr should recommend and require wet to dry packing 2 times a day with a wound wash called Vashe. Yes it takes longer put the tissue bonds back stronger and less able to break down.

My son's nightmare started in 2012, he was 16 yrs old. His busted opened, he didn't tell us he was having issues until there was blood everywhere.

He is currently in recovery now, He is 22 now, but his experience is a rare case.

He had also had osteomyelitis in 2017.

Bone infection occurred due to all the infections over the 6 yrs. We are now trying to build his immune system back up.

I hope this gave you some advice and what to expect. My son is a rare case but you don't want it to go any longer due to the growing tracks. The Dr can't see all the tracks until they go in.

My son was cut and left opened 12 in long, 6 in wide, and 6 in deep. They leave the wound opened, that's where the wound vac comes in. But I will tell you from our experience, I wish we knew info yrs ago, my son's wound look awesome and healthy this time. The other surgeries the tissue was what Drs call junk tissue.

Good luck and hope you can get this resolved without difficulty.

God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.