Does this look like a medial meniscus tear?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Injured my knee from a direct fall 4 months ago. Pain subsided for awhile but has been on and off and feels very unstable. The pain is in a specified location on the inside of my knee directly to the left center of my knee cap. Had an me I and the doctor only saw a lot of inflammation and diagnosed an acl sprain. I'm very confused but this and not sure where that diagnosis came from. I also took this picture from my mri that I'd pulled up on my computer which I worried showed a memos all tear. Should I get a second opinion, or am I overthinking it?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/Kaylmurray

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kay I twisted my left knee on the stairs in Dec 2015 and the pain lasted for months. It was in the left side of my knee and couldnt put weight on it. I had an MRI on both knees and have  osteoarthritis and meniscal tears in them both. Just had knee replacement  so you should get it checked out again.
  • Posted

In some cases meniscus can and will heal. In others, surgery is necessary. Strains and bruises take so long to heal because we still have to walk and move in erratic ways that put a strain and pressure on the ent ok re body. If we could just stop and rest, healing would come so much faster. If you make a request, you probably could get a 2nd opinion.
  • Posted

Sorry for all of the spelling errors, I posted this let night while I was very tired lol. I had an MRI an dim concerned that it could possibly be a meniscus tear.
  • Posted

oldfatguy is right you should rest a bit I made the mistake of still going to work and being on my feet all day if Id rested more it may have healed
  • Posted

I have not opened up the photo.

However I think you should get a copy of the Mri scan Report.

Going off th history that you have given it certainly does sound lke a meniscal tear.

The sooner it is treated the better because it will worsen and cause a lot of pain.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

• Posted

My experience with a meniscus tear was constant pain.  Intermittent pain usually is related to irritation and overuse, such as one would experience with a strain.  Do anti inflammatory treatment relieve your symptoms?  If so, that would also support strain rather than a tear.  And to echo the oldfatguy said some tears will heal without surgery.  Final choice is what do you need to do to satisfy your mind and your pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.