Does this sound like Addison's Disease

Posted , 2 users are following.

imageA couple of weeks ago my wife pointed out that I had a large patch or brown going down the length of my back, from across my shoulders then going to a narrower patch all the way down to my lower back.

I spoke to my GP over the phone about it after sending him a photo and he asked me what I thought it was ?. I did mention that I had seen something online called pityriasis versicolour which is a harmless fungal infection, he said that it was quite a large area for it to be that but that he'd prescribe me ketoconazole shampoo to wash the area with and pityriasis versicolour, which is a topical corticosteroid, to apply morning and night. He also said it could be notalgia paraesthetica. He said to try the medication for a couple of weeks and see if it improves.

In the meantime I'd posted the photo of my back on Reddit and a member mentioned that it looked similar to Hyperpigmentation, they also asked if I had any new dark freckles and moles as well as feeling overly exhausted. I have all of these so I looked into the symptoms of Addison's Disease and I have quite a few of them.

I have been suffering extreme exhaustion for the past few months, finding it a struggle to make it through the day. I'm practically comatose by 7pm. I then sleep, but wake up totally unrefreshed no matter how much sleep I get. I have also been having muscle aches in my shoulders and legs as well as the occasional tingling type feeling in my legs. I have no motivation and find it a struggle to get to visit friends and family. I occasionally have low moods I also suffer from stomach pain and alternating diarrhea and constipation (diagnosed as ibs). I crave sugar, but not salt. I've also caught covid twice and also got diagnosed with low vitamin d, and have been on supplements to maintain them.

One of the things that's making start to think I may have adrenal issues is that I have been an asthmatic since the age of 9, I am now 52. And during the last 10 years or so I have been taking a Symbicort inhaler (which has a steroid) twice a day. There has been times where I've come off of it whilst feeling overly confident that I've outgrown my asthma, but unfortunately it reappears again. I have read that these kinds of inhalers inhibit bodies production of cortisone. And this also causes issues if the dose is suddenly stopped (which is what I'd done a few times) instead of tapered off.

Does this sound like it could potentially be Addison's disease, as I will bring it up with my GP in a couple of weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have been suffering from Addison's Disease for 10 years now. You don't get hyperpimentation just in one spot. You should look like you have a great tan all year long with really really dark hyperpigmentation on all the joints. It took me on my death bed before I got diagnosed, and doctors don't usually catch that you have Addison's until it's pretty much too late. Some folks weren't lucky at all and died. I'm thankful a nurse looked at me and ordered the test to diagnose me. It usually takes doctors 5 years before you get a definite diagnosis cause all the symptoms are generic! Hope this helps! Goodluck to ya!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.