Doing an endoscopy and Colonoscopy tomorrow...so so nervous. Please read.

Posted , 4 users are following.

After years of stomach pain and acid reflux, my GI HAS requested that I do both a endoscopy and Colonoscopy tomorrow. I have rescheduled the procedure three times so tomorrow's the day. I'm 17 btw. They're going to give me anesthesia so that has lessen my worries however I'm still scared. What if something goes wrong? sad today is my prep day and I start in a hour. I'm doing the Miralax and Gatorade prep. I just hope all goes well. I really need an answer to my GI issues. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You don't need to worry about anything at all, particularly as you're having a general anaesthetic. Both the procedures and anaethesia are very safe these days, certainly for someone your age, and they'll only give you a very light anaesthetic anyway. It's not as if they're cutting you open after all! The whole thing should only take half an hour or so.

I'm afraid the prep is going to make you feel a bit rough tonight and early tomorrow morning, but no worse than a bout of diarrhoea due to food poisoning.

Once all this has been done they'll be able to find out exactly what is causing your symptoms and treat the cause. Why don't you come back on here after the tests and let us all know how you got on?

Good luck for tomorrow - though you won't need it! wink

• Posted

Thanks so much. Feeling a little bit more relaxed. Will definitely update you on how it went smile
  • Posted

You will be ok if you're having general I wouldn't worry. But one thing your bum is going to be really sore from the stuff that makes you poop so I suggest you keep putting cream on it to help!! And stay by the loo don't go out anywhere x
    • Posted

Yeah. I bought some baby wipes and Vaseline just in case. Thank you smile
  • Posted

I had exactly the same as you are having earlier this year.  Please make sure you put lots of cream on your bottom whilst doing the prep.  I used Zinz and Castor Oil (a tip given to me by the nurse)....it really did work.  Does make you feel rough but stick with it so they can have a proper look tomorrow.  With the anaesthetic you will be fine.  It will be done and dusted before you know it and hey you get a cuppa and a some toast after.  Oh! and you will have wind but then so does everyone else.  All the staff will be kind, helpful and supportive.   They know you will be nervous.  Try and relax.  "Good Luck" and I agree with lily65668 below you won't need it.
  • Posted

Hey guys! The procedure went well. I don't remember anything. They gave me GA and I just remember waking up in the recovery room. Thanks for the assurance. I will know next time to be less nervous and just relax.
    • Posted

I got my letter today - 21st July mine is. Dreading it! Was it a full general yeah? The white stuff? Glad you're ok x
    • Posted

Okay July 21st, that's good. Enough time. Are you doing both or just an EGD? Yeah, it was a full general anesthesia. The only thing I remember was the medical staff applying the oxygen mask. Then I woke up in the recovery room. I believe they gave me Versed and pain medications. You Will do great smile. Hope I helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.