Driving

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just posted info re a study done in America on patients driving reactions before and after THR. It may interest everyone. It is being looked at by the moderator for some reason hopefully he or she will put it through. In the meantime I hope this will get through ok. This is from the Royal College of Surgeons

Driving

Your insurance company should be informed about your operation. Some companies will not insure drivers for a number of weeks after hip surgery, so it’s important to check what your policy says.

Normally, driving should be avoided for the first 6 weeks and even travelling as a passenger is best avoided for the first three weeks (except for essential journeys), as getting in and out of a car can risk straining the hip and stretching the healing tissues. However, you should discuss this with your surgeon.

Before resuming driving, you will need to be fully recovered from your surgical procedure. You should be free from the distracting effect of pain or the sedative or other effects of any pain relief medication you may be taking. You should be comfortable in the driving position and able to safely control your car, including freely performing an emergency stop.

If you have an automatic vehicle and it is your left hip that has been replaced (assuming a right-hand drive vehicle), you may be able to drive earlier, but this should be discussed with your surgeon and would depend on your general health, medical condition and personal circumstances, including the views of your insurer, and whether you are a Group 1 (car or motor cycle) or Group 2 (bus or lorry) licence holder.

Driving - an exercise

After about 6 weeks, you might want to test your fitness to drive. Do this in a safe place without putting the keys in the ignition: simply sit in the driving seat and practise putting firm pressure on the pedals. If you feel pain, you are not yet ready to drive. If you feel sore afterwards, you may need to wait a day or two and try again. Only when you can put enough pressure on the pedals to do an emergency stop - should you think about driving again.

It is advisable not to restart driving with a long journey.

Driving - Notifying the Driver Vehicle and Licensing Agency (DVLA)

After total hip replacement, you do not need to notify the DVLA unless instructed to do so by your doctor; however, it is important to follow your doctor’s advice about driving. Higher medical standards are required for those holding a Class 2 licence, so for reasons of safety and comfort your doctor may advise you to delay driving further. You should also speak with your employer.

Ultimately, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are in control of the vehicle at all times and to feel confident that you would be able to demonstrate this if asked. 

3 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the very useful information Colin

I was told that not only is it the pressure you can put on the pedals, but how long it takes you to react and get your foot up onto the pedals too.

Happy New Year  🎈🍸 ❤ 💋 🎉

Graham - 🚀💃

• Posted

thanks Colin ... 

Ultimately we are the one who are responsible for sure - 

I am 15 weeks post-op from 2nd Left hip surgery (9 months from 1st one) and still have days that my left leg feels weak - I live in Holland and need this leg to use the clutch - 

if you are driving this weekend, be safe -

warm big hug'

renee

• Posted

Hi Colin,

If you include a link the post will go for moderation. Also if you put the link in you do not need to paste the whole article as well so I have deleted the other discussion and added the link below.

http://www.totalhealth.co.uk/blog/it-safe-drive-four-weeks-after-total-hip-replacement-surgery

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Thought that May have been the reason so deleted the link from the second report that I posted. Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.