Driving me mad !!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello I'm Sarah I'm 24,

I'm now 6 weeks post op after total hysterectomy with conservation of ovaries .

BUT this insomnia is driving me insane !!!!!!! It started on week 3. each night i would fall asleep later and later but would still wake up a hour or so after .

I went to the doctors on saturday by this point i had been awake for 36 hours and she gave me zopiclone 7.5mg to help me sleep. That night i fell asleep at 9:30 (by this point i had been awake 48hrs) and woke up at 6am Sunday morning, not a bad night sleep at all.

I was told not to use the tablets every night so on the sunday i did not take them. I did not fall asleep till 5:45am ish Monday morning.I woke up at 7:00am.

I took the tablets on monday at 9pm i was still awake at 6:00 am yesterday morning. I fell asleep about 6:40am ish and woke up at 8:00am .

It is now 3:24am Wednesday AND I AM STILL AWAKE !!!!!!

Has anyone got any advice ????

Thank you

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I wish I had a simple answer, but there is no simple solution. It may pass eventually, but until then try taking Kava tea before bed, then read a book in bed and you should get sleepy. Make sure you try to sleep at the same time each night. You can also try a vigorous workout a couple of hours before bed. Things will get back to normal eventually. Also have your doctor check out your hormone levels, they maybe off due to the historectomy.
    • Posted

You try a vigorous workout when you've recently had abdominal surgery lol

• Posted

Hi Sarah

I too take Zopiclone but only occasionally not only bc they're addictive but as I also suffer from sleep apnea in addition to insomnia

Could yours temp be to do with any other medication you may have had as a pain killer in hospital? Morphine can affect ppl.

I sympathise with having a major op as I too have gone through the same but one of the best decisions I made as it changed my life

My digestive system was more affected though but that was more to do with why I needed a hysterectomy & the anaesthetic.

Regarding sleep if you haven't tried binaural beats online it's worth a go bc it's a natural sound or relaxation CDs bc I go through phases of using them to help sleep

Hope this helps

• Posted

Advice One - NEVER take zopiclone. Highly addictive. Once they get hold of you, they don't let go.

Advice Two - Calm down. This often happens after an anaesthetic. Some people find that consulting a homeopath helps.

Advice Three - This will end! Every time you go to bed you're frantically 'waiting' to fall asleep. This causes your adrenaline to rise, so you sure won't sleep.

I have been through this, I promise. It isn't easy. But please don't turn to sleeping pills.

Love Tess xx

• Posted

Zopiclone are addictive so I'd suggest being v conscious of this & sensible rather than say 'NEVER' to take them as they have helped me get through some really rough nights/stressful times

Was prescribed them for the first time 6/7 years ago & I'm not addicted but I'm v aware of how often or not I choose to take them so I feel responsible

Rather than take a tablet I try other avenues to calm me first as mentioned before

Hope you have a speedy recovery & things settle soon TC

• Posted

Thank you I will definitely be carefull with how I take them I am trying to find other avenues to help me sleep im just struggling to find one that works at the moment but hopefully it will calm down soon

Xxx

• Posted

A hysterectomy at 24?  What happened?

I'm sure that it is caused by that in this moment because your hormones do impact sleep.  And maybe tell the Dr. who performed that procedure what is going on with your sleep...maybe even a temporary hormone replacement would help.

• Posted

Yeah I was on a constant period for two years and all treatment failed so it was my only and final option to stop it

And I will try get into my doctors see what they say hopefully Its just my hormones moaning ahaha

• Posted

If you still have your ovaries, you had a 'partial hyst'. I did the same many years ago. There are a lot of things that can affect your sleep. Do you stay on the computer at night? Do you watch tv at night? Do you take in any form of caffeine after about 4pm? The rays coming from the computer stop your brain from making the melatonin that makes you sleepy at night. I got a filter for my monitor plus I shut the whole thing down no later than 8pm, sometimes earlier. That means no phone stuff either.. no IPad, etc...

• Posted

P.S. You still have your ovaries which produce the female hormones oestrogen and progesterone. So that shouldn't affect your sleep. smile

• Posted

Forgot to mention that both 5-HTP and melatonin really help us get to sleep at night. No negative side effects and they are supplements, not prescription drugs. It's a shame that doctors only know how to write out a prescription.

• Posted

Hello Sarah

Because of medications in hospital you may have problems to sleep

I use relaxation Techniques and I used the one I learned in Pain Clinic, it was the Alexander Technique.

The one that is popular at this time is the Mindfulness Techniques, this system is available as a book and can be self learned.

Your GP may have some way to arrange some training anything is worth a try

BOB

• Posted

Hi,

I've had insomnia for about 6 months. About one and a half months ago, after having tried pretty much anything possible to help me how to sleep (all the possible pills and relaxation techniques, hypnosis etc) I decided to 'come to terms' with my insomnia - to accept it as an unpleasant reality, and stop fighting it. I noticed that fighting insomnia itself was an additional pain, decide the drain of insomnia as such. Ever since adopting this strategy my sleep has improved markedly over time. People who sleep normally don't do anything at all to fall asleep, or stay sleep - they just sleep. But every individual is different, and need different amount, and kind, of sleep. So, instead of trying to make yourself sleep, or sleep a certain amount of hours, or a certain type of quality, just give your mind and your body the liberty to do whatever they want. Stop the struggle to achieve any kind of sleep. Whenever you are tried or sleepy just go to bed with the intention to relax, and if sleep comes that's fine, but if it doesn't that's alright too. Doing this, over time your sleep will also improve as you will no longer associate sleeping with struggling. I hope this helped smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.