drowsiness and sexual side effects??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone

I'm starting to use escitalopram for my ADHD, starting by 5 mg for 4 days then step up to 10 mg and continue with it.

I just need to ask about two things:

-my college finals are very soon and I'm studying nowadays, will escitalopram make me feel drowsy and sleepy? I'm on the 2nd day of medication and I cant judge, plus I have no Idea what will happen when the dosage is risen to 10 mg, so I ask.

as for a student, do you advise me to take it when I wake up or before bed? I don't want to waste days in fighting drowsiness.

-also I need to know if anyone on 10 mg has encountered sexual side effects (lipido decrease and impotence).

thank you all in advance.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The drowsiness will go away. I take it in he morning because it does have a bit of a stimulant. also you can wake up after 4 hours if you take it at night. I feel like I have a lower sex drive but no problems with performance. Never go cold turkey or even half if you stop. Very slowly or you will feel very dizzy
  • Posted

I'm a female in USA. I took generic Lexapro for abouf 3 months. 10mg an then 15mg for last month. It made me very sleepy. Had to take it at night. Would knock me out. Also it made me eat alot! Gained 13lbs in 3 months. I didn't really have that bad of side effects when starting as Prozac has done! I stopped Lexapro because I didnt feel it was doing anything with my depression. It really helps with anxiety more I think because it's a deactivating antidepressant than like Zoloft (activating). So I was still blue mood. But maybe I should have went up to 20mg an stuck with it. Iv tried 4 antidepressants now. If it just didn't cause wt gain I might get back on it. As far as sexusl desire, nada. None. Didnt care about it. But I was also starting menopause (46) early. Double whammy! Rt now Im having issues with anger an irritable an yelljng at everyone. It's really becoming a prob. Im not on anything rt now but occasionally a Klonapin (anti-anxiety)an half of one at that. So I dont know what to do next. I do know alot of antidepressants cause sexual side effects but everyones diff. Goodluck. Lord bless fr Texas
  • Posted

I used it for 11 days and started getting weak erection. It does ruin your libido. As far as taking it in the morning is concerned it will make you but cloudy initially but later on it improves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.