Drug Induced Tinnitus? Young and Healthy with no Medical Issues.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I don't know how active this forum is or if I will get much help here but basically some time ago I began hearing a crumpling sound in my left ear drum like someone was crumpling paper anytime I moved my head. I was told by a PA that this is water or fluid trapped right behind the ear drum causing a sort of amplified sound but I'm not sure if he's right or not. That issue was honestly not a problem though, it didn't hurt or discharge or anything negative just strange sounding sometimes. Shortly after this stopped I began having a ton of muscle spasms in my inner left ear (which also stopped after the tinnitus set in but that was after the medication had started). However through an online virtual visit I was (mis?)diagnosed to have an ear infection and prescribed "Ofloxacin Ophthalmic Solution, USP" antibiotic ear drops to treat it. Well after beginning the medication after about 8-10 days of uses I developed an awfully loud tinnitus in my left ear where I was using it. After the tinnitus began I stopped the medication immediately and now it's been about 3 weeks that I've had this issue showing no signs of stopping. The PA told me I don't currently have an ear infection, and probly never did, and also said it's very unusual for someone healthy like me with perfect hearing, no physical trauma or damage, and no allergies or anything that may have caused it, to have suddenly developed tinnitus in just one ear. At this point I know all I can do is wait and hope it goes away, and try to focus on other things, but does anyone have any actual advice as far as treatment or medication goes for it? I don't want anti antidepressants or to cope or something, I'm fine, I just want to know if there's something that will possibly stop the issue like a muscle relaxer, or decongestant, ect...

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Guest-- You were prescribed and Opthalmic solution for your ear? Opthalmic is usually eye.... Once in awhile unilateral tinnitus can be caused by a small tumor on a nerve, Have you had an MRI or a CT scan?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.