Duodenal ulcer

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I had a perforated stomach ulcer exactly 5 year tomorrow without hardly any symptoms didn't even know I had an ulcer,now I'm having similar symptoms, is it true that this is likely to happen again after 5 year as I remember reading this article somewhere feeling really worried

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leanne I would go to your doctor, I have read that ulcers can and often do return, I have found diet' and herbal remedies help, as well as medication 
  • Posted

Hi Leanne

The important thing is not to worry. Stress affects the stomach. In 1965 I had a massive haemorrage from a perforated stomach ulcer and there followed an emergency operation.

For the past 50 years since, I have suffered from Gastritis. As you may imagine during that time I have acquired a great deal of knowledge about stomach problems. I have always known that it was pretty certain that my problems were caused by the stomach bacteria H. Pylori. And yet, in spite of giving me a permanent prescription  for acid inhibitors none of the many doctors I have seen has ever suggested the proper treatment for this disease. As the acid was beginning to affect my throat, two weeks ago I went to the Doctors and specifically requested treatment for H. Pylori. Today- at the hospital - after an Endoscopy (tube down the throat), H Pylori was diagnosed and the hospital consultant gave me a prescription for the three medication therapy. Knowing what I know and having suffered for so long, I was a fool not to request the correct treatment a long time ago. So, like me, having an operation does not rid you of H.Pylori. No one can say you have or have not got it without a test. There are three. A breath test which may be done in the Doctor's surgery, a stool test which has to be sent to a Lab. and an Endoscopy which has to be done in a hospital. The first two tests are not foolproof.

A long winded story Leanne - but don't leave it as long as I did. And God knows why the Doctors don't know better. But ask for a test, and if positive - relax. The therapy is usually very effective.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me,God knows how long I had the first ulcer for,I kept going to doctors in pain and everytime getting fobbed off with gallstones or eating disorders or what ever they wanted to diagnose that day,it's actually 5 year today since that op and it's only cos my daughter took me to walk in center that I'm actually around today,I'm maybe a little bit anxious when I get pain now don't want to go through all that again,have rang doctors and get appointment for 10 days,but thank you and hope all goes well for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.