Dysphagia

Posted , 7 users are following.

For some years I had difficulty getting food down. Not very often, but when it did happen it was very painful and embarrassing. I cured it myself. My singing teacher had told me not to eat chocolate or drink milk before singing as it causes the body to make a lot of thick mucus which means your tubes are full and you can't get any resonance in the voice. When the dysphgia started many years ago I thought I was having a heart attack, but the stuck food bolus eventually went down and I was able to have a drink of water. Some years later, after several such occurrences, some of them very bad and one lasting over 24 hours, I read that an infusion of thistle roots made by stripping the outer skin from the roots of a thistle, cutting into small pieces, crushing and adding to a saucepan of boiling water, stops the mucus problem, sipped when cooled down! It worked brilliantly and I have hardly ever have a problem since, except for one or two very minor ones which can be sorted out with warm water and jumping up and down, landing quite hard. To anyone with the same problem I say try it. It worked very well for me and can't do any harm and it's free. The best thistles arte the ones that grow flat and round, though any thistles are OK. It's just that the flat ones have thicker roots. It's hard to find thistles in the winter, but I've kept a bottle of thje infusion for years, so get some now while they are still relatively easy to find.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm glad you found something that worked for you. However, dysphagis must be taken very seriously. There are many possible causes for it and one of those is a tumour.

Often with dysphagia there may actually be insufficient mucous. That's why the proponents of aloe vera and similar demulcents find it useful.

I would strongly urge everyone who has swallowing difficulties to see their doctore straight away.

• Posted

Hi Barretts . How are you? My swallowing problem seems to be a lot better. I have been told I have a hiatus hernia 3cm sliding and mild gastritis. I haven't had it confirmed yet but they did a biopsy in my esophagus to exclude eosinophillic oesophagitis although it says ther is no lesions in my osophagus. I am due to go for barium swallow but not had this yet. I have been kept in dark a bit and am currenlty not on any meds. Do you know anything about EofE Barrets. I have had an appointment to go back to consultant but the letter says to go to the General Surgery Ward. I just got this letter and it has worried me that they intend to to an op on my hernia? I have muscular dystrophy (which might explain the hernia) and a heart condition so dunno whether I could go through an operation. Obviously it's nothing serious as they wouldn't leave it till 18th of January but I am still worried what their intentions are. Any advice would be welcome. I feel okay generally and don't get much acid reflux but I can feel things coming up a bit but it's not that often it's usually when I have a cup of tea rather than food and it doesn't feel like food coming back up. I have only had this happen once. I have hardly been on PPIs to know if this would make a difference. I am guessing they will want me to try this all first. I would say the gastroscopy is not pleasent but no where as bad as I thought it would be!
    • Posted

I'm not an expert on EoE but you can read what I di know about it if you find the DownWithAcid org uk site and scroll down the contents to the link for Eosinophilic Oesophagitis right near the bottom belwo the main section heading Other - Related Conditions.

It does sound as if your problems are mainly reflux rather than acid and this may be attributable to the hiatus hernia which is very common. Have they suggested you have a fundoplication when they operate on your henia?

Assuming you have a good surgeon and the anaesthetist is happy with your heart etc, it shouldn't be too traumatic for your body and the quality of life afterwards should be much better. (Well it definitely was for me!)

Agree about gastrocopies. I've had so many of them in the 21 years I've known I have Barrett's - and sedation doesn't work for me so I am wide awake through them.

• Posted

They haven't said anything yet . As not seem consultant after the tests . I think the clinic is jusf callled that . They might not need to do it with such a small hernia . Reflux is that like regurgitation I don't appear to regurgitate food it's just a liquid burp?
    • Posted

Dysphagia is very painful when it wants to be. I have a small hernia just before the stomach sphincter, probably caused by the first time I had the dysphagia. It doesn't need surgery, but I don't eat ice cream or drink milk. No point in asking for trouble! The extra mucus is created by milk etc., so I hardly ever have trouble and have been virtually free for several years. Having had seven spine ops, five of them fusions, and still being in a helluva lot of pain, I prefer to treat myself, as the only thing the doctor says is take the tablets four times a day. I can get a parrot to tell me that!
    • Posted

Coincidentally I have just been reviewing an initial draft of a booklet written by a friend and colleague on achalasia. Although I'm sure neither you nor I have or had it, it did bring back my memories of the years I suffered from severe dysphagia with one memory in particular of lying on a concrete floor beating my chest in an attempt to get a chicken sandwich to move and worrying anyone seeing me would think I was having a heart attack - but yes, I remember the pain.
  • Posted

Hi,

Do you have a picture or plant name for these thistles? Doesn't sound like its something I could buy from a shop.

• Posted

Thistles grow by the roadside and in the lawn, woodland etc. Look at the emblem of Scotland. You don't buy them!
    • Posted

Not milk thistle! Ordinary weeds by the roadside etc. with sharp spikes. Free, but use thick gloves. Dig out the roots with a spade or garden fork.
  • Posted

Thanks Chris for adding your story with positive results. It's much needed here!
  • Posted

Do u think the supplement would work just as well?
    • Posted

What supplement, and why pay for something when the thistle roots are free? Anyway, the roots have helped enormously, and nothing is going to beat a cure, which is what I have.
    • Posted

You have found someething that reduces your symptoms - which is good but doesn't mean it's a "cure" for anyone.
    • Posted

Agreed. It won't work for everyone, but it's easy to try it out. A bit like marriage and democracy; seems like a good idea, but not for everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.