Dysport Injections For Fissures

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, my name is Richard and I live in Hampshire.

I have been suffering from anal fissures for about 2-3 years now and tomorrow (02/09/10), I am going into my local hospital outpatient day surgery clinic for some Dysport (Botox) injections around my anal area.

This will be my third time around for having this procedure done, and while they give relief for about three months the fissures do seem to come back when the injections wear off and my local hospital seem reluctant to do something more permanent :x

What I would like to ask people is, have you had this procedure done more than once and have you ever been offered alternative methods of surgery?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard

Hope todays botox went well for you. Chronic fissure is one of the most underestimated causes of absolute misery i have ever experienced so i feel for fact you been going through this 2-3 yrs now.

I have had 10 months now and had botox 8 weeks ago. Have had some improvement but pain returned so having 2nd next wednesday. You are right in that most hospital consultants prefer conservative treatments rather than surgery op - saying that you may find useful myself and another sufferer on here Peters discussions on here headed `vy advancement flap`. Which you are welcome to join in.

I think St **** hospital in London regularly carries out most fissure surgery in UK and has good reputation. I am edging towards LIS if this botox treatment fails which i undrstand is about managing or getting on top of the spasm.

How long was it before you feel better after botox as there is so much conflicting info?

Steve

[color=indigo:66fc208b48][size=9:66fc208b48][b:66fc208b48][i:66fc208b48](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.)[/i:66fc208b48][/b:66fc208b48][/size:66fc208b48][/color:66fc208b48]

• Posted

I read all comments regularly to keep hopeful and try new things, as I have suffered 3 years with this dam thing! I had botox last year, it was immediate relief, you have to get to the loo quickly to start with as you lose that bit of control, but the relief from pain was brilliant. However you tighten up again after a few months.

My turning point was having acupuncture -10 sessions and expensive, again it wore off, but I think if I kept it up it would be OK.

I feel my hard water area causes problems as as soon as I go to Devon or soft water areas I'm much better. Mine started with being prescribed aspirin, which I stopped after all the damage was done, but it's known for causing constipation.

I go between movicol, chinese teas, magnesium tablets and eat mostly vege, red meat always causes a problem, and a large meal.

Big adjustments in diet help a lot but you get lazy and think why can't you just eat normally like everyone else, best of luck to all!

• Posted

Hi Richard,

Please would you update on what happened at your 3rd botox - as my daughter is also about to have a 3rd op with it. I hope it went well for you, Thanks Dee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.