Ear plugs

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive had a huge struggle with sleeping for about 15 years. Ear plugs help as literally a pin dropping will awaken me if Im lucky enough to drift off.

Im finding that the current wax plugs cause problems in my ear canal, resulting in shooting pains. I can also hear my heartbeat pulsating. Ive found some (expensive) noise cancelling rechargeable ones online but am reluctant to spend so much money without a recommendation. Has anyone tried anything like this please?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

You have my full sympathy. While trying to sleep I have to banish even ticking wristwatches from the room.

I have been wearing ear plugs for the past 25 years and I never liked wax ear plugs. Instead, I am using foam ear plugs. The ones I am using have a conical shape and are made of soft malleable foam. They are rolled into a thin strip, placed into the ear canal and held in place till they expand. I found that not all ear plugs are the same. I have narrow ear canals and need some that are small enough and soft enough to be comfortable. Also, they need to be replaced fairly regularly to stay soft.

Currently I am using Mivolis earplugs. Got a bunch of them while travelling in Europe. They come in box of 8 pairs and each pair is sealed in small cellophane pack.

While wearing ear plugs there will always be some degree of white noise. Over the years I got used to it and notice it only when paying attention to it. Sometimes I do hear my heartbeat, and I found it helps to equalize the in-ear pressure by breathing out through the nose while pinching it.

I was never impressed with noise cancelling ear buds. I always had the impression that most of the noise cancellation comes from a tight fit rather that the electronic components. I personally would be reluctant to get noise cancelling ear plugs because until you try them you will not know if they are comfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.