Early Lyme, secondary treatment, anyone else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

Back in July (2016) my 7 year old son woke up with a fever. As common with kids the doctor recommended to wait and see if it is an infection of some sort that will sort itself out. On the 5th day of fever my son was feeling less and less himself. A visit to a docor at that time again did not lead anywhere meaningful. That same evening while he was playing a game I noticed a red spot on his leg. After examining his body I noticed a faint bulls eye mark on his back and about 2-3 addtional 2cm red spots at different spots on his body. Got in touch with his doctor and about an hour later he took his 1st antibiotics dose, which was part of a 3 week treatment. His fever and rash were gone in about 2 days and he was back to his normal self.

Doctor recommended blood test for the IgM and IgG antibodies 2 months after the rash was 1st seen.

Today I got a call with the results showing that he did in fact have a Lyme infection and showing that he still like has it. So he is about to go on a 2 months secondary treatment. He currently exhibits 0 symptoms (high energy, no joint pain etc).

I am wondering if anyone had to go for 2 rounds and I wonder what the outlook for complete erradication at the end of 2 months is.

Any advise is appricated.

-concerned dad.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would think that there is every chance that he will make a full recovery .

The thing was caught and treated early, He had the  antibiotic straight away.

A two month further antibiotic course should see him  clear.

I am only passing on info  gleaned from scientific papers on various websites  and the general opinion is that 3weeks antibiotics given ASAP  when the bulls eye rash is first seen  seen  will  cure it.  Sometimes it just takes a bit longer

Your Doctor , who  seems to  be Lyme literate will advise you.

Meanwhile give your son foods that will  keep his  immune system strong and if he's a sweet/chocolate eater try to limit it a bit.

If he eats yoghurt get the best kind with the probiotic bacteria in it.

Greek(not those labelled Greek style) and Icelandic seem to be well  recommended .   

Keep him protected from any further tick bites by long sleeved shirts/ tees and long trousers  when in long grass or wooded areas and use an anti tick cream or spray  or a herbal product on exposed skin in the tick season.

Be  very thankful you saw it when you did and acted so promptly.

Naturally you are very concerned but all will be well,

Healthy children are very resiliant.

Yes! lots of Lyme patients have two or even several courses of antibiotics. 

What has he been prescribed

Yes, some folk take two or more courses  

• Posted

Thank you and capi62308 for your responses. I am feeling a bit better about this as the initial displeasure from the results is wearing off.

He is on amoxiciline since kids less than 8 are typically given less agressive ones. I take it that it is effective given how quickly he got better during the 1st time around. I've seen some references online suggesting that this bacteria mutates less than others and thus is less capable of developing resistance.

• Posted

Plus, it sounds like his pediatrician has seen and treated this before. That. Is. BIG! Anxiety about Borrelia (the stage after Lyme Disease, if it isn't noticed or treated correctly) where it becomes Chronic is normal. Again, I think this Doc knows what he is doing. Wish there were more of him. Be sure to share your story with your friends/fellow parents so they know what to look for & a Doc who can treat his/her child quickly. You're a great dad!!

• Posted

Dear concerned dad:

Am very sorry a tick has made your son ill; however, I am thrilled thru your parenting & your wonderful doctor's awareness of Lyme Disease that what can become an ugly battle is likely being thwarted. Initially, on the northeast coast of the US, knowledgeable docs/patients request 200mg/2xday doxycycline for 4 weeks. Often tests are inconclusive, so it is a huge blessing your son's tests were conclusive and yes, a second round is common. Be sure during this time to google & protect your son's developing teeth/the new permanent ones that have come thru. Brushing 2x a day and using a fortifying mouthwash are as important as the medicine he must take. Wishing you all the best to a clean bill of health and a Lyme Disease success story!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.