Early morning anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi  I have suffered from anxiety especially health anxiety for a few years although you could say I have been a worryer all my life I am now 69 years old.  I won't bore you with the details but in the last 2 or 3 months both my husband and I have had to to have various health tests heart bowel etc and I have one hospital visit coming up.  

I wake up every morning between 5 and 6 pm and am instantly worrying about these tests the results whether we might have cancer which is possible so not like my normal health anxiety worrying that every symptom is something serious when is probably isn't.  I try deep breathing relaxation exercises etc which only help a bit I am glad to be able to get up and then it seems better.  I don't sleep that well but am now not getting enough sleep.  Has anyone got any ideas on how to cope with this early morning anxiety.  My best wishes go to all fellow sufferers of anxiety. 

Thanks.

3 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hello there, it's normal to be nervous about upcoming test results, I'm 19 and I get pretty nervous over them. You're going through a stressful period due to all the doctor visits that's why you can't sleep well. When all this is over, you will feel better! I don't think there is anything like that wrong with you (cancer) as you'd have bad symptoms. The early morning anxiety will be gone when you're done with all tis. It's just routine tests that you have to do considering your age! Best of luck and keep us updated! 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and kind words.  Hopefully as you say all tests will be ok.  We have to go next week for my husband to see the consultant for colonscopy results which they think will be ok but have sent off biospsies to be sure.  I had heart stress scans at the beginning of January because they thought I m ight have angina.  Have just found out from my gp and there are no cardiac problems although I still haven't  had a letter from the hospital.  I know it take weeks when there is nothing wrong.  I too am now waiting to see a doctor about bowel problems although I don't know what tests I will need. My gp does not think it is serious although symptoms need checking out just in case. I am trying hard not to think about anything medical and take each thing as it comes.  I have always found morning the worse with anxiety but of course will all this going on it had been worse.  It had not been helped by moving house last summer to be near daughter and family. It is 200 miles away from where we lived all our life  and not easy at our age both emotionally and doing all the packing up to move.  However we both felt it would be good for us to be near family as we get older and see more of the grandchildren.  Unfortunately it means we have left my other daughter and 2 children but they do visit a lot.

• Posted

Anxiety is a bad time for a lot of people.

Try doing some meditation before getting up and listening to some positive affirmations.

Try not to focus on the upcoming tests, worrying about them wont change any outcomes.

Mindful meditation could really help you to not to worry about the what if's of tomorrow.

Keep strong you can do this.

Keep busy and active 😊

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and kind words.  Actually I hve began to look at mindfulness medication on line so might try that.

Best wishes to you as well

• Posted

Hi there, i find I'm most anxious in the morn and I don't blame you for thinking about these tests all the time I would be the same I think anyone would be whether they suffer with anxiety issues or not i Google symptoms I get and diagnose myself with everything its unhealthy but I still do it this makes me even more anxious it makes no sense. It's the fear of the unknown that's all. I know it's hard but you should just deal with every situation as it arises I find walking calms me why not go for a short walk straight away when you wake between 5 and 6 it will stop you overthinking and relax you slightly I wish you and your husband luck in the future hope you get good news

• Posted

Thanks for your reply and kind words.  Yes I know all about googling.  I think it starts with you just trying to educate yourself a bit more then ends up with imagining you have everything under the sun and all bad.

I had a period when I did not google symptoms and must admit I did feel better for it so am going to make a big effort not to do it anymore. I agree walking does make you feel better so must get into the habit of going out more.   Best wishes to you.

• Posted

Look into melatonin and ask your gp about it. Its over the counter and helps with sleep.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I will look into melatonin something which I can google.  I did not have any sleep problems until this anxiety started a few years ago.  Am going to gp later this moring so will ask about it she has though suggested valeria? which you can buy as a tea.  All the best to you.
  • Posted

Sometimes when life seems to be a constant worry perhaps then it's a good time to talk with your GP. as we age our hormones get unbalanced and some anti depressants can help.

check with ur doc. Has helped me a lot with a lot of health issues. I sleep better and don't ruminate things over and over as I had before meds.

just my sharing experience .

Hopexxx

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  My gp has suggested valeria? tea taken before bed so will look for that in healthshop or supermarket.  I am not keen on anti depressants partly because I am taking other medication which I think might interact with them.  However I will not rule it out.  I am gladc that they have helped you and improved your sleep.  Best wishes to you and all the best for the future.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.