Early Morning Colonoscopy Preparation.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I was very recently diagnosed as having a rectal polyp, and even more recently have received the promised Colonoscopy appointment together with a pack of "Moviprep". I've read the enclosed instructions several times, but still find myself at a loss as to what the optimum preparation timing will be for a 8AM procedure.

The directions for the prep are quite detailed, however, in regards to the timing they only advise "If splitting the dose, see instructions provided by your doctor for completing your bowel prep". Unfortunately, I haven't been given any specific details relative to preparing for an early morning procedure. A call to the local hospital today has left me advised to take both packs the day prior to the appointment. Pack A at 5PM, followed by pack B five hours later at 9PM.

This being my first Colonoscopy, I naturally decided to do a little online research and found the information regarding the timing of taking the "Moviprep" mostly contradictory to the hospitals advice. In general, the online consensus advises patients to start taking the second dose of the preparation approximately 4 to 5 hours before the scheduled time of their colonoscopy, as opposed to the 10 to 11 hours advised by the hospital.

My online research has also led me to this wonderful forum and left me wondering if any members have any experience or advice specific to "moviprep" and an early morning cystoscopy... I'm not sure if it's relevant, but I'm a 53 year old guy and one who will be eternally grateful for any helpful advice.

Regards

Zak

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello Zak

I underwent a colonoscopy last year and have checked the timings I made in my calendar.

I was advised to take the Moviprep at 1300 and 2000 for an appointment the following morning at 1000.

This worked fine for me.

I hope this helps and good luck.

• Posted

hi Zak, just to confuse matters, I had a 9am appointment and started taking moviprep at 5pm the day before, as per the instructions.  Everything went fine!
  • Posted

Hi Zak, I was told to eat only watery soups For 24 hours befor procedure one sachet at midday and evening the day before. Providing your motion is cleanish liquid you will be fine
  • Posted

Google moviprep.

I have colitis and moviprep is NOT safe for me.

Moviprep is a strong laxative. The laxatives one buys in boots without a prescription are very weak in comparison.

Bob

• Posted

Hi Zak- I hope this helps but you need to alter the times My hospital has given load of information but regarding Moviprep

I am due to have mine at 4pm this Wednesday

Day before at 1 pm - do not eat any more but clear soup, soft drinks or black coffee

At 7 pm make up first litre drink over next 1-2 hours (important to drink a further 500 ml of water during the evening

Allow 2 hours for Moviprep to work

(Last time mine worked in less than hour - and I can only describe it as an exploration that went on for hours - this time I will be sure to have low fibre foods days before!)

It was horrible

7 am - do not eat anything and make up the next prep and dying over next 1 to 2 hours and again 500 ml water Hopefully should have watery bowels. Then leave for appointment

If I can give you anymore information just ask - there is lots of information

Hope all goes well xx

• Posted

Hi, many, many thanks to everyone who kindly replied. For clarity's sake, I think it's probably best if I respond in this single post rather than to each individual reply.

I should explain my confusion over the timing in part arose from having read an online comment left by someone familiar with being on the other end of the scope... "Having 6 to 8 hours between the last dose and the colonoscopy yields a fairly good quality preparation; however, with each additional hour, the quality of the preparation decreases."... It left me thinking the advice given by the hospital of starting to take the second dose of the preparation 10 to 11 hours before the procedure was to prevent me the inconvenience of a broken nights sleep, rather than advise me of the optimum time to achieve the most effective cleanse.

Taking on board your much appreciated replies and taking into account I'd taken the whole day off work, I decided to incorporate the guidance offered by someone who performs the procedure for a living, who when asked "When using a split-dose bowel preparation, what is the ideal time interval between the last dose and the colonoscopy?... Answered "In my opinion, it is probably best to start taking the second dose of the preparation approximately 4 to 5 hours before the scheduled time for the colonoscopy. At my centre, we instruct patients to finish drinking the preparation 3 to 4 hours before the scheduled time of the colonoscopy."

Obviously getting up at 3AM to begin taking the second dose of Moviprep wasn't exactly ideal, but it was doable seeing as I'd taken the day off work... Anyway, long story cut short... First on the list at 8AM, chose to have no sedation, option of gas & air given, but not used... The Lady Endoscopist was impressed enough by the cleanliness of my colon to comment on a very effective preparation. The entire procedure took a little over 20 minutes and I'm delighted to say the original diagnosis of 'polyps' was dismissed in favour of no more than a slightly enlarged vein, no removal or biopsies needed and a very relieved me arrived home before 9AM.

Many, many thanks again to all who contributed, it was greatly appreciated. Best wishes to all facing a similar procedure, I hope it's a painlessly smooth experience as that of my own.

Kindest regards

Zak

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.