Eczema in groin - Men

Posted , 4 users are following.

my 16 yo boy has been dealing with eczema the last 5 months. It was very bad, but it's getting better. Now I find out he also has in the groin area but the ointments are not helping in the specific area. Does anyone have any experience or idea?

he started with hydrocortisone 1%, then 2.5%, then betametazone. He's tried several moisturizers and now using aveeno. Please help!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Shay, just a concern about escalating the potency of topical steroid cream. It may be that he's become addicted to the ointments quite quickly. Spread of original rashes and needing a higher potency of ts can be an indicator of ts addiction.

Groin area is highly absorbent so be careful of using any ts there, let along potent ts. During ts withdrawal, face and groin develop rashes, even when ts were never used there originally. It could be the spread could be due to ts use elsewhere.

if you google topical steroid addiction and withdrawal, and get to a website with links to tsw research, you can read and share with your doctor. They aren't very knowledgeable about the condition at the present time. Treatment s cessation of ts and dealing with a very comfortable rebound for a while - before it gets much better. 

Best wishes

• Posted

Thank you for your response. We are very conscious of addiction. It's actually one of the places that started first, but he didn't tell me. But every other place is starting to heal nicely after months and he is now tapering down with ease. But that area is proving to be very persistent. I have changed detergent after detergent, eliminated softener altogether. I'm really suspicious of other factors we haven't yet discovered. He wears 100% cotton underwear but he gets heated. I am hoping someone will post something that I haven't thought of. What a nasty condition this is. This poor child is so emotionally affected by this. I would appreciate any suggestions and ideas. I will read more about tsw. We're trying to find what else he can use so that he doesn't keep using steroid because it's also lost its effect. Thank you very much. Please keep sending ideas.
  • Posted

Hi shay0708, it was a good idea to stop using fabric conditioner. You could also increase the number of rinse cycles. To speed up the healing of the eczema in the groin area it is important to reduce any friction and keep the area dry. I am sure your son is already wearing loose underwear. He could also try a cream with a high zinc oxide content. Best would be a cream with as few ingredients as possible. It works best if it is not rubbed but gently patted onto the skin.

If the affected area is not on the scrotum your son could try a topical solution of 10 per cent propolis. The advantage is that it leaves a thin film of propolis that protects the skin and reduces itching. I use this as an alternative to steroid lotion. I try to use products containing steroids for short periods only.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.