Eczema on scalp, any advice?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 17 year old girl who has had severe eczema since I was a child. In the last few years, it has largely cleared up on my body, only requiring a few treatments of betnovate cream when it flares up and even then this is in small patches. However for the last year or so I have been getting eczema on my scalp which in the last few weeks has really flared up. My doctor has advised several different shampoos (which have made little difference) and the fantastic advice of avoiding stress (easy for a 17 year old studying four a levels...). I've tried dermol & epiderm cream and E45 & oilatum shampoo as well as washing my hair brush, changing my sheets... ect. My doctor has advised against using steriod creams on my head and I'm not really sure what else to try. Any advice for anything I can use to help my dry, sore, itchy scalp? 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you used Exederm shampoo? They make an adult formula and a baby shampoo formula. Both are EXCELLENT for dry, itchy scalp while you have a breakout. Also, look for things that are "soothing" rather than medicated. Sometimes you put too many different combinations of products on your scalp and skin, and your Eczema gets worse using products that were meant to help not cause flare ups. 
  • Posted

Hi 

poor you, I am sure it's stress related, having said that try a baby shampoo, no conditioner take a antihistamine at tablet at night, just to see if it calms down. I am in my 60's and have had eczema for the last 10 years , had a patch years ago nothing showed up, just had one last week it seems I a have a allergy to metal, eg: tins, zips, utensils, the list is endless. Try asking for a patch test to narrow things down. Wish you luck stay calm 

jean

• Posted

Many years ago, when my husband was probably around 30 (he's 68 now) he was troubled with itchy spots on his feet but whatever creams he was prescribed didn't seem to work.  He was overweight and went on the Cambridge diet where he had to cut out all food for about two weeks and just drink liquid food then he had to gradually introduce solid foods.  This meant cutting out milk and he was very pleasantly surprised to find that the rash had completely gone during the time of the liquid diet and so he decided to cut out milk altogether and he has not had the rash return.  He does still eat cheese but that doesn't seem to make any difference.  Perhaps you could try leaving milk out of your diet for a few weeks as it is a known trigger for eczema.  There are plenty of alternatives as I drink almond and soya milk and so does my husband.  It might be worth a try
  • Posted

Check to make sure that the shampoos and other things you are using don't have Methylisothiazolinone in them.  About 10% of the population is sensitive to it, and yet the EU has allowed it to be used as a preservative - and a lot of companies that ought to know better have added it as a presevative to products - for example, Nivea.  Things can be labelled as hypoallergenic and still contain this chemical which was affecting me.  If you ever do any washing up, spray cleaning fluid, use ordinary shampoos and conditioners you will probably be contacting this chemical which is a big problem for a lot of people.  Some people on the Methylisothiazolinone Victims group on FB have recommended using coconut oil in the hair - I'd test that on your wrist or somewhere first before putting it on anywhere already inflamed though.  I find lavender oil also helpful for inflamed skin, but ditto, try on a small area first!
    • Posted

Methylisothiazolinone isn't in any of my shampoos from the healthfood store. I really love the tea tree oil shampoo and conditioner. The other shampoos I have are naturally fragrance free and are clear in color.
  • Posted

I've had scalp problems since college and for 30 years.  Nothing has worked 100 percent.  The only things that relieve it are moisturizing my scalp with Aveeno oatmeal lotion in the morning or after taking a shower since most shampoos will dry out the scalp.  Also changing my diet about 90 percent from before. The immune system is roughly 80 percent in your intestines so eat healthy. Salads for lunch, green smoothies (veggies and some fruit), and cut out glutens and sugar as much as possible.  No sodas at all. Dr. Oz talks about how to eat every day on TV in the U.S. I'm sure your programs are similar. I tried using unscented soaps etc. Those don't seem to work unless you have specific allergies. I have steroid creams but avoid them for the damage they might do internally.
  • Posted

I passed my eczema down to my daughters; I guess it came from my father's side. I hadn't known I could breakout with it anytime since I was never wet frequent and long enough for it to recure until my adulthood.

When my first daughter had a breakout of it, her pediatrician explained that I needed to dry her thuroughly after washing, to moisturize her skin right away with fragrance-free lotion, and try to take her out of the bath a soon as possible, giving a bath every other day instead of daily.

She cleared up, and I knew how to handle it from there. I was wondering today if I gave myself a breakout of eczema on my scalp as shampoos for dandruff did nothing, not even washing repeatedly in the shower. Silly me had been letting my hair air dry, with wet hair for hours a day from taking long baths and showering for a half hour trying to get the flakes out.

I got patches of it in other places of my body and changed that a month or so ago. So, I don't believe I have dandruff anymore. I never had a problem with flakes when taking fifteen minute showers, then using a hair dryer right after.

I have coconut oil in my hair right now; it looks oily but it's a treat for my scalp and hair like a deep conditioner. It is a really luxuriant moisturizer that is organic. It's with the cooking oils and has a lot of uses and cost me ten dollars.

I will update you with my results in a few weeks--that's about how long it took for the other places to clear up; the one on my upper thigh is barely there already when I got it last month or a little more ago. I joined this site solely to post this for you, mia38240 and I hope it helps.

• Posted

Well, I haven't had success with this yet. I noticed when I wash my hair every other day, it comes back. When I wash it daily, it reduces significantly. So, if I find anything later on, I will update again.
  • Posted

Hi Mia,

You mentioned your shampoo is from the health food store & does not contain Methyl, do they contain (SLS) Sodium Laurel Sulphate ? This ingredient has given all sorts of problems to me & eczema sufferers if you search online.

Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.