Either nostril blocks on lying down in bed.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Started 10 (ish) years ago but worse in last 3 years. Every night will wake up, and each morning with a nostril blocked 100%. Never have both blocked. Can easily have a headache/conjestion feeling which can often lead to a tablet to try to feel better. Sleep is awful. Can wait between 5 mins and an hour for the nostril to clear.Not much fun in the dead of night in the winter feeling dog-tired with nowt to do. Two years ago I went private to no avail and now back with ENT in the NHS (after being fobbed off for years) and have finally hit lucky. ENT nurse found I have a dust mite allergy; now sick of buying and washing anti-dust mite bedding. And as for hoovering; I could scream! Now waiting for some kind of scan then some other test. Have tried Dymista which now does not work and I have a raw lining to one nostril that won't heal despite all kinds of prescribed creams. Started nasal irrigation just before bedtime yesterday; as advised by ongoing ENT appts; have tried this before to no avail but advised it needs to be done at least once a day BEFORE bedtime. Thank goodness I have at last found an ENT doctor who is taking notice. I visited his senior doctor in Spires 2 years ago to no avail; just not interested. Expected to see this Spires doctor at my this most recent appt where he works in the NHS and really did not want him; so glad I got someone else. Have recently tried antihistimine tabs over the counter, but advised they make mucous thick to catch the allergy, so could make things worse. Anyone else in this mess?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes I am. Had it for 12 years and now very much worse. Six months ago the ENT consultant suggested nasal irrigation. I tried it but it seemed to make things worse. I will try it again. I'm taking Avamays but each canister works for about 3 weeks (half used) and then my symptoms reappear again. It improves again if I start a new Avamays. Ive bought a purifier for the bedroom which helps (I stopped sneezing). My nose drips and I am constantly clearing my throat for about 10 minutes after I eat. Then it subsides. My nose is always blocked in the morning. I wondered whether it was related to my thyroid problems as when they flare up so does my rhinitis but the consultant doesn't think that they are related. I'm going to try to get an allergy/food intolerance test done as i think that my problems are exacerbated with certain foods and if i can cut these out it might help. I don't think that its GERD either.

Do you take anything for your symptoms? How does the nurse know its a dust mite allergy that you have?

• Posted

sounds like i was lucky only started about 3 years ago but exactly the same symptoms.

Following nasal surgery and a range of various nasal sprays and nose rinses nothing worked.

Antihistamines just made it worse and ended up on steroid courses up to 3 times a year to clear chest congestion.

A private consultation diagnose the problem non allergic rhinitis Meaning I was allergic to nothing but anything can trigger it.

Found some research online in America on the use of red Chili pepper spray nasal spray ask my doctor if it was okay to try he agreed it do no harm .

It’s now been 12 months and although the rhinitis is still there I have not had an attack or post nasal drip at night since using it. Completely change my life as it’s fully under control.

Please give it a go. You can buy direct from the company online in Holland and they will post it to you within a day or two. Tried various doses and followed the research but now apply twice in the morning and once before bed. CAPSINOL ORIGINAL FORMULA. capsaicin pepper nasal spray.

• Posted

Thank you Richard I will try that. Over the last 2 nights ive slept with the windows open and strangely woken up with a clear nose! Still getting the nasal drip in the day. Im wondering if its a dust mite allergy thats exacerbating things. I will try the pepper spray.

• Posted

i had the same issues of trying to work out what was causing the problem. the truth is it can be anything and can change unlike standard rhinitis where they can tests there is no way of knowing. most people have an allergic reaction to dust and grass it does not mean this is causing your problems.

The pepper spray desensitises the nasal passages and therefore you don’t have to worry about the cause.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

• Posted

Oh I see. I was just about to get my husband to rip up more of the carpets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.