Emetophobia - The devil in winter

Posted , 1 user is following.

For those who don't know about this phobia - please google it.

In brief summary, it is a fear of anything to do with sickness/vomit. I unfortunately struggle majorly with the fear of nausea/myself being sick rather than others being unwell.

Well todays the first day I've felt a bit...off for a long long time. I havent thrown up since 2002 (I am 28 now) and everyday it is at the back of my mind.. I am going through some PMS today and, to be fair, I've managed to eat a big pastry for lunch but dinner is soon as I'm feeling so scared to eat as I'm not starving. I currently weigh around half a stone lower than my minimum "healthy" weight and people think I'm anorexic. I spiralled in 2015 after my ex partner got a bug and despite not catching it, I lost around 20 pounds within 2 or 3 months and ended up in hospital due to starving myself incase I got sick.

I go up & down. 2017 I started eating more, gaining weight, flying (something else that triggers the phobia) but..unfortunately I got very unwell with a nasty bug on Christmas day 2017 (joy haha). I didnt throw up but, it left me with a horrific condition which has since been defined as IBD. Obviously this really hasnt helped but, over the past 2 years I realised stress was the main thing causing my other stomach illness. I dont get sick with my IBD just terrible cramps sometimes. But since this bug I was highly triggered and havent gone past 8stone in weight (I should be 8.5 stone at LEAST).

I am worried about myself. I want a baby one day and also not to seem like a maniac when others are sick but I cant find the refined help. At all.

If anyone knows anyone who is carrying out therapy please let me know.

Also - happy Autumn haha

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.