Enbrel rash progress

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I started Enbrel 4 weeks ago. For the first two weeks I had no rash at all. After the 3rd injection, I got a rash of size of say 2cm over 5cm with swelling that dissapeared after 24h. The rash itself dissapeared after 6 days. After the 4th injection (this Saturday) the rash appeared and is now about 3.5cm over 6cm and is lasting 2 days with swelling. Itches, hot and bothering. I wonder if it is going to get worse or if the size of the rash and this semi allergy reaches a critical point and that's it... Saw some scary pictures on the net. Wonder if it really gets to the face and back, etc... Thanks...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just a guess here, Ama, but it will probably go away and you'll be left with the good effects of the Enbrel on your joints and no rash.

I took Actemra and had a strange maroon rash all around my eyes. It lasted a week days and then went away.

The biologics group are known to produce odd side effects immediately after injection/infusion.

• Posted

Thanks Light,

Just found this on the Enbrel site (one of them, anyways): 

"...In controlled trials in patients with PsO, 15% of patients treated with Enbrel developed injection site reactions during the first 3 months of treatment. All injection site reactions were described as mild to moderate (erythema, itching, pain, swelling, bleeding, bruising) and generally did not necessitate drug discontinuation. Injection site reactions generally occurred in the first month and subsequently decreased in frequency. The mean duration of injection site reactions was 3 to 5 days. Seven percent of patients experienced redness at a previous injection site when subsequent injections were given..."

Hopefully it will gradually go away...

Third day and it's still sweling and part of it is turning bluish/blackish... No shorts this week, I guess... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.