Endo laparoscopy suggested at young age

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I've been experiencing horrible period cramps as well as lower back pain and pelvic pain on a pretty much daily basis for about 4 years now. I have been seeing a great gyn since I was 15 and shes always been extremely thorough when it comes to my symptoms. I have had an ultrasound which of course didn't show endo but i do have a retroverted uterus which can be caused by endo. I have been on birth control for about 3 years now. I have had several issues with many different forms of oral contraceptive, and while i found relief with the current pill im on, my symptoms have started to get worse. My gyn thinks that its likely that i have endometriosis, but shes concerned to do a lap because I'm only 20 years old. The past several months, I have started having GI issues including diarrhea and chronic nausea. In addition to this, I have had 3 vaginal infections and at least two ovarian cysts in the past month and a half. Pain with sex has also become a big issue. I really want to get a formal diagnosis to find out if my pain is being caused by endometriois, but some part of me is scared that they wont find anything and that I'll be left thinking that its all in my head. Endo is genetic, and my mom had severe endo which left her no other option but to have a hysterectomy. If i have endo, I want to be proactive about it in order to preserve my fertility as much as possible. My mom does not like the idea of me having a laproscopy(funny bc she had to have one too) but my doctor thinks that it might be the next step for me. Do you think this sounds like endometriois? Has anyone else been through this process at a young age? Is the surgery worth it and what is your advice on tackling this disease?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Lindsey.

I am very sorry that you're going through this so young. You may have received some misinformation along the way.

1. a tilted uterus is quite common among all women, not just those with endo. i know women who've had 5 and 6 children via their tilted uteri.

2. endo is not just hereditary, and even if it were, that your mom has it does NOT mean her daughters or granddaughters will have it. Not my mom, her 4 sisters, their mom, my 3 sisters, my dad's sister, nor any of 10 women cousins and 7 women nieces have ever had so much as a twinge.

3. diarrhea and nausea can come with endo, or they can indicate a lot of other things. in fact, all endo symptoms can also mean some serious GI issues. endo itself can be a serious threat to the intestinal tract. a number of us here have had bowel resections due to endo -- tho not usually at your age. This cannot be ignored. bowel resections are no fun, and there is always the risk of having to poop in a pouch after a resection. sometimes that's temporary and sometimes it's permanent.

If your gyn will do the lap, your mom needs to understand that your endo may be much worse than hers. you need the lap, tho i wouldn't be surprised if they forced you to go through a lot of GI tests first, all of which are unpleasant. gotta be done tho.

I hope you get this sorted out. as always, i hope and pray that you have something more curable than endo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.