Endo not testing what I'd expect

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, but I was diagnosed with autoimmune thyroiditis two months ago after seven years of being told by various doctors that there was nothing wrong with me and being sent to therapists. I have a whole host of symptoms of both hypo and hyperthyroid and next week I have a follow-up appointment with my endo.

These were my numbers when they were last tested two months ago (I live in Spain so I don't know if these are different in other countries, I'm totally new to this):

Free T4: 0,99

TSH: 1,84

Thyroglobulin antibodies: 31,8

TPO antibodies: 915,5

Tomorrow I'm doing another blood test before my appointment next week but I've just noticed that my endo is only looking at TSH. I was just wondering if this was normal or if I should ask about why she's not re-testing the rest?

Thanks so much for your help!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes.. your doctors appear to be right.. Hashimoto's, hence the high antibodies.

• Posted

Hi sweetmelissa,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I think so too smile but what I was wondering is, is it normal that she's only going to test the TSH and not the antibodies or anything else now?

Thank you!

• Posted

Well, your antibodies were already tested.  You don't need them retested because once you have antibodies, you will always have them.  As for other test.. it depends on the doctor.  I keep hearing everyone saying that you need your Ft4, Ft3 and Tsh tested everytime, but my doctor only does the TSH.  Some doctors say you do, other doctors won't run the other test, even if you asked.  I would say to ask your endo about the other test and their importance of them being checked and perhaps go from there.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies! All good to know. My appointment tomorrow got cancelled but I have another one in a couple of weeks with a different endo, so I'll definitely ask her about that. My previous one did test Vit D and B12 and I was low in D and on the low side of normal for B12, so we've been treating those and from my last blood tests they look better now. Don't think we've tested folate yet though, so one to ask about.

Thanks again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.