Enteric Outbreak in retirement home

Posted , 1 user is following.

Good morning,

I have a question regarding how a stomach fly virus can spread. Here is my situation; my mother is living in a retirement home and she was sick with vomiting and diarrhea. She recovered a week ago. since then the virus has spread and is continuing to spread around the home with many of the residents having those symptoms. The staff has cancelled activities and limited resident contact to the dining area only. They have also asked that friends and family not visit for the time being.

My mother called me yesterday to ask if she could come and stay with me so she doesnt contract the virus and I imagine she is quite bored. She suffers from Alzheimer's so she doesnt remember she was already sick.

My question is....if she comes here and is not presently showing symptoms can she still spread to us? Im wondering that if after you have had it do you become immune for a while as well. My wife and I are leaving fir Florida soon and would hate to start our vacation with vomiting and diarrhea!

Thanks

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.