ESA and Work pension

Posted , 4 users are following.

**Hi all, I am new to this site, so hello everybody.

I am on Income related ESA. I turn 60 on May 18th. My main pension does not mature until I am 67. However, I have a very small (but most welcome in the circumstances) pension which is available from my 60th birthday. It is less than £3000. Two questions: do I need to inform DWP and if yes will it affect my entitlemen? If yes I can defer it to a later date. Thank you in advance. Stay healthy, stay safe.**

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If the £3,000 doesn't take your total savings to more than £6,000 then you don't need to contact DWP. Do be aware though that if you take multiple lump sums over a short space of time then DWP will ask questions.

If you receive a weekly pension as well as the lump sum then the weekly amount will reduce your ESA £1 for £1 providing it's all income related ESA that you're receiving.

• Posted

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. Suffice to say the amount will not take me over £6000 . It will prove useful in the short term in these uncertain times, never know what might come up!

Stay healthy, stay safe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.