Esa to UC.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Ive been on esa for approximately 7-8 years now, and im wondering if i apply for uc would it benefit me? By that i mean if i go onto uc would i be required to continue to be asked to go to face to face assessments? I am 59 years by the way.

Many thanks for any help and replies. Ian.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Based on the very limited information you've given it's impossible to tell you whether you would be better off claiming UC.

Once you claim UC any Income based ESA would end. If part of your ESA is contributions based then this would continue and be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

If you claim UC your existing ESA award would be honoured in UC so if you're in the Support Group then you would be placed into the LCWRA group of UC. If you're in the WRAG then it's the LCW group.

Your work capability assessments would continue as normal when claiming UC, in the same way they have done with ESA because they are both exactly the same.

Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC. If you do claim UC any tax credits you may already be claiming will end. Housing benefit continues for 2 weeks and then transfers to UC.

• Posted

Hi denise

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Im in the income based esa benefit and in the support group. To be honest ive not thought about applying for uc, but its always been my understanding that the benefits people will notify me when they want me to apply, have i got that correct? But even so im really asking is if i get put onto uc, do i still have to keep going for interviews when they ask me to? At the moment ive been attending once per 18 months.

Many thanks for the answer.

Ian.

• Posted

Yes, you will be invited to apply but this won't be until at least 2024, potentially later, if a change of circumstances doesn't prompt a move before then.

For the work capability assessment you can be re-assessed anytime from 3 months and this is the same for ESA and UC. So yes, as advised, your WCA will continue as normal, whether you'll be re-assessed every 18 months is anyones guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.