ESMYA : side effects vs effectiveness

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'd like to hear from all of those women who have taken Esmya:

1. What kind of fibroid do you have?

2. Did Esmya effectively shrink your fibroids?

3. What kind of side effects did you encounter?

4. What is your overall opinion of your experience with Esmya?

Thanks in advance!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, I just started Esmya, only 7 days ago. I haven't encoutered yet any change in size, I am quite bloated, I don't think it is from the medicine, as I have been bloated for a while now. No side effects so far, fingers crossed I don't encouter them. My fibroid is 9cm x 8cm. I don't know what kind of fibroid I have, but I know it is on the utrice.  I am trying hard to eat plant based food. 
  • Posted

Hi stephanie,

I was on Esmya for three months from Feb this year. 

I did not have much of side effects. I had some headache kind in the first few days but nothing at all afterwards..

My fibroid before esmya was about 9X8cm and after esmya, it just came down to  8X7. Not much effect for me unfortunately. So the doctor suggested me not to continue esmya for the second course. 

I just feel I have gained some weight in this three months but I was neither on a proper dier nor an exercise routine. So, I cant be very sure if its esmya. 

Hope this information helps you. 

• Posted

HI Stephanie, I have just finished my 3rd course of Esmya. For me it has worked.

i have several fibroids, all in the uterus, some in the uterus wall, largest around 11 cm x 8 cm.

The worst side effect has been hot flushes day and night, also some dizziness and tiredness at the beginning.

Esmya has shrunk the fibroids each time, but they grow back quickly, the first time around 3 months, the second time after 2 months. This time they seem to have shrunk quite a bit, fingers crossed I am taking Apple Cider Vinegar and DIM supplements to try and regulate the hormones.

Do not expect rapid results, each time it has been 6 weeks before the bleeding stopped and and shrinkage was noticeable. Strangely I am still experiencing some spotting now, but nothing like the bleeding I was having before. Of course I should be menopausal, I don't think I have periods as such any more, but the bleeding from the fibroids has persisted, and the only time I have menopausal symptoms is when I take Esmya!

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Stephanie, i had esmya and suffered headaches initially which passed after few days but extreme tiredness resulting in me only working and sleeping. (Thankfully it was winter).

I had all types largest was 10cms. Both inside and outside the uterus. Symptoms once they finished returned quickly. Did not want to spend life asleep so opted for hysterectomy a year ago. I have no regrets. Recovery was much easier than symptoms of pain, pressure and flooding. Surgeon remarked uterus was sizeable sfter surgery.

Hope this helps but everyone is different. Good luck Jeanette

• Posted

Hi Stephanie,

I have a 20 week sized uterus with most in the wall and some on the outside. I took Esmya last year and had good results, my uterus shrunk by a third. Unfortunately this lasted for 3 months before my heavy periods and pain started again. Side effects were a headache that went away after the first 2 weeks, some flushing and insomnia. And most importantly - no periods! I'm trying to avoid having a hysterectomy, I had a myomectomy

before and my surgeon isn't keen to repeat it. I'm going to take Esmya again now that it's been licensed for repeated use. Hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.