Esophageal Cancer worry again.

Posted , 2 users are following.

So around 16 months ago I had a weird feeling in neck that made me believe I might have cancer since I have had Chronic GERD since I was 11 I was 24 at the time. So I went and had a nasal endoscopy done everything turned out fine. So fast forward about 16 months and I have been having trouble swallowing food going down slower, a slight pain when I swallow in chest area and burning pain in chest almost all the time. Could the ENT have missed something sinister? Or could cancer have developed in that time? I know no one can diagnose me on here just looking for someone to talk to about this because it has me really scared. Any replies would be greatly appreciated thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

If you have cancer that stops you swallowing properly, it would have been a sizeable tumour in your throat or oesophagus that would have been visible during the endoscopy.

It sounds as though you are suffering from reflux and oesophagitis ie inflammation and sensitivity in the lining of your oesophagus and/or throat, perhaps caused by stomach acid.

You should see your doctor about this. The answer is probably some form of medication / change of medication.

As you have been suffering this long term reflux you should be aware of the possibility that you might have Barrett's Oesophagus. This is where columns of the lining of the oesophagus start to change colour, again visible at the endoscopy and hopefully included in the endoscopist's report.

If you do have this condition, you should be monitored at regular intervals to check whether dysplasia is developing.

Long term reflux is not good for proper health, and if you have not responded to medication such as Esomeprazole, a proton pump inhibitor (and some people do not) then you need a different sort of medication and a referral for an alternative, such as the Linx device, a magnetic bracelet that creates a valve effect between your stomach and the oesophagus to keep stomach acid in its proper place.

Like any procedure, endoscopies are not perfect, and it may be that in due course you might be a candidate for an endoscopy through your mouth where the instruments can give better results, but this very much depends on age of the equipment used at the hospital.

There is more information on the website of Action Against Heartburn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.