Essential tremor it's now affecting my sleep at night.

Posted , 5 users are following.

As well as my hand and head tremor last night it was really severe kept me awake for 6 hours shaking severely with my job I can't afford to take medication that makes me sleepy .any ideas ? 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

The head tremor, is that caused by Cervical Dystonia as in muscles are spasming in your neck? The hand tremor I would assume is Hand Dystonia?

If you are Dystonic then a Neurologist maybe able to help. Medication though is ongoing, but on saying that, it doesn't mean in tablet form. Cervical Dystonia can be controlled by injections in to the neck, to control the head tremor.

The hand tremor, that is more difficult without using medication - you would need to consult a Neurologist, by ask for a referral by your doctor.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi Les,

I have already seen a neuro quite a few times and have had a few scans over the years.they thought I might have Parkinson's,I have had this since I was 18 and feel I am getting them more often.the other night my head shook in my bed  for 6hrs non stop .

regards Kath

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

I misdiagnosed with Parkinson's myself, and to come to that conclusion took nearly a year. Eventually I was diagnosed by a Professor of Neurology Dr David Marsden from New York, US and his neurology team. I had to meet him at the Queen's Hospital in London, which is about 120 miles from me. I had numerous meetings with him every 3 months when he was in the UK.

Virtually all my body continously spasms, 24/7 but at night I take tablets to basically knock me out, and to lower the pain from my muscle spasms and cramps. I was told 30 years ago it was progressive, and they were not wrong - my medication is changed every so often so I do not become relying or addicted to it, which many can do. But there are drugs that lower spasmodic muscle spams which can be taken at night, to aid sleep.

I have many conditions and I am on over 30 tablets a day, plus 6 injections every 10 weeks - it sounds bad but I got used to it.

I hope you can get help from someone, my doctor is not allowed to change my medications without written permission from my Neurologist.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les I am really sorry to hear that.i have been checked for Parkinson's .

i never had problems at night before but it's getting to much 

Regards Kath

• Posted

Try not to cure the sympton but the cause. 

Your job - for some reason is giving you stress/anxiety - the outlet for that is the shaking.

If, you could resolve what is giving you the stress in work, whether customers, colleagues or management, or finding a way of coping with it, whether listening to 'chill-out' music, going for a walk, or writing down how you felt - then disposing of it. Thereby reducing the stress/anxiety will lessen the tremours, and give you a good-night sleep.

HTHs good luck.

• Posted

I've had for longer, became aware of it whenj I was a teenager, could've had promotion at work - but turned it down, couldn't cope with not being one of a crowd. Carrying liquids - tea etc. was always a time of anxiety, and signing anything in front of anyone - thank goodness for chip & pin.

Was given tranqulizers at one point, that was worse than the condition!!

Happened, the read when I was in my mid-twenties an article in a women's magazine about ET - at last I can put a name to it.

Now four decades later, I don't take anything for it, apart from try to cope with the Social Anxiety it gives me - don't like to have eye-to-eye contact for long.

Otherwise, I hardly notice it.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Kathleen,

I have had the same problem when I was working.

My neuro gave me meds to help me to sleep but that was not a "good" sleep.

Now, I may not work any more. but I still have the same problem.

I'm trying new things. For exemple, I'm trying to have à bleu lightning in the evening. I feel calmer and my tremors are decreasing in the evening. It helps me to feel asleep more easily.

The best way to be helped is to task the help of your neuro.

I hope you'll find a solution.

Friendly yours.

Jacques

• Posted

Hi Jacques,

many thanks for your reply I feel this is getting me down and embarrassing in company and my work also I have had this since I was 18 and I feel it's getting worse i last seen the neuro 2yrs ago and the 2options given to me were meds that would make me sleepy or operation.

Regards Kath

• Posted

Unfortunately, we do not have many alternatives. Complementary medicines do not offer much help if not less hard help, but also less effective.

The operation can help, it's scary, but the people I know that have were operated are very happy. But we must be living in a country with good social security or have a very good health insurance because it is expensive. The results are there when the disease permits. In my case, the operation is not recommended because my head shakes too much.

Try to find a specialized neurologist asking the patiens association of your country who can help you and support you.

Sincerely.

Jacques.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.