Every high doses of Creon

Posted , 5 users are following.

my 87 year old father is having his Creon dose increased to 85000morning dose, 55000 lunch, 85000 dinner, 55000 supper

what does this mean 85000 what?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It means units, I take 24000 units 3 x a day. He is really on a high dose. Hope he feels better.
    • Posted

Thanks for you reply, don't thinks he's going to get better I'm afraid, but what constitutes a unit? A unit of what?
  • Posted

Reading the bottle it's pancrelipase.  I'm on 36000, 3 with each meal and 2 with snacks.  I can often get by with just 2 and 1, respectively.  Depends on what I am eating and how I am feeling. 

So sorry your father is having to deal with this.  Talk with his GI doctor if you need more detailed info about Creon; I'm sure he can explain it much better than I.

• Posted

, thanks for the reply. You are obviously in control of the problem, he's not.

i don't think anyone has ever told him what foods affect the pacreatitus.. Are there any set of foods that make the problem worse? Such as dairy., meat, fried foods etc. We were considering doing a food diary to see if we can work it out.

• Posted

Heres what was recommended and what works for me. Eat very low fat, less than 20g a day and no alcohol. Eat mostly fruits and vegetables. A little chicken or fish, no beef or pork. I also have cut down on sugar and try to eat no preservatives. Everyone is different, but this is a good starting point.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.