Excessive alcohol intake

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I'm a 40 year old female and since the breakdown of my first marriage I've either drunk a bottle a wine a night or at present two bottles of 8.4% Henry westons cider.

I know my intake is too high but struggling to break the cycle, it's been 16 years and every morning I wake up and say that's it there's no need etc but I still need/crave the satisfaction of that first drink.

I've gone two weeks without it and was so pleased with myself and looked forward to going to bed, but I just can't do it 😢

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

alcohol use disorder is a serious disease. it effects 18 million in the US alone. you are not alone. it is not a falure of character or will that you cannot stop. its the body and mind with a serious addiction. plz see you doctor or councilor for additional resources .

your right you cant do this on your own by telling yourself you can not have a drink. the alcohol has trained the reward / pleasur system in your brain to crave alcohol. i know it's an impossible thing to imagine, but there are medications, patches and injections that can help you stop the cravings thru this difficult time. never stop drinking alcohol cold turkey it could have serious consequences on you life .

• Edited

Thank you, I am going to try and ease myself away from it. My husband says I have an addictive personality because whatever I start I don't stop, whether it's collecting something or doing something it's kinda all or nothing.

• Posted

plz see a professional to help educate on types of techniques are used to stop the craving.

• Edited

Just wanted to add that I have been alcohol free for 14 days today 😃

• Edited

My friend was helped by therapy in a special institution. First, the dose of alcohol was reduced and walks were added, and then the alcohol was gradually removed completely. This special institution socialized my friend and he found an incentive and a hobby. Each case is unique, but it is possible that lifestyle changes can affect habits as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.