Exercise advice for a 150 kg man

Posted , 3 users are following.

So my weight has been creeping up and today I have peaked at 150kg. I have always been overweight but this is the heaviest I think I have ever been. Most of the time I have been able to handle it but now I am showing some real physical issues just being this size. It hurts to kneel down and put socks on in the morning, regular movements take a lot more effort, my walking range is a fraction of what it used to be (less than when I used to smoke), my strength is next to nothing and I feel so tired all the time. I am getting geared up to tackle this head on and I have friends who are guiding me through the dieting but I need some advice on the exercise front.

When I have lost weight before it has either started when I was lighter or more physically able. The exercise I used to do involved either a basic workout dvd or in earlier years 90 minute stints at the gym. Now though I am not sure I could manage either. Gym is too expensive for me atm and there is not a gym feasibly close to me to take advantage of. As for the workout dvd, I still have it, however it is not really aimed for people of my size and I don't feel limber enough to fully take advantage of the exercises. So I need another option. I currently have a decent set of free weights to help bring my strength up a bit and I recently invested in an Elliptical trainer to help my cardio out.

What I would love to know is if there are any sets of exercises I should be focusing on. Are there ones out there specifically aimed at the morbidly obese? Which will my help my dexterity, which will help my heart, how much of each should I aim for and how should I progress the exercises when I start to see some progress in my fitness and my weight.

I know its a very vague topic but I am half going into this blind. I know of a lot of exercises but I don't know what they are good for or if they are right for me or not. Ideally I would love to sit down with someone and plan out a program or something but I don't even know where to look for that really. Also, looking up exercise routines for the obese always seems to bring back some very vague topics and very little examples of a detailed routine to follow or build on.

Any help getting me started in this venture would be very much appreciated

Thank you

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

if you went to your GP surgery they might be able to refer you somewhere in the locality where an exercise programme could be established for you to follow - there will be lots of people on line who will have ideas as to what you should or should not be doing however nobody will totally understand your health status etc as well as a professional and sometimes advice given willy nilly online could even be detrimental - perhaps if you concentrated on the dieting side of things at the moment to reduce your wgt and then embark on an exercise programme when you feel more able to follow such - good luck

• Posted

Its simple, start walking long distances more often, then when that gets comfortable start running, then when that gets comfortable start regular exercise and weight lifting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.