Exercise after spinal fusion surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello

First of all, I'm new here and this is my first post smile 

I had spinal surgery when I was 14 years old, it was quite major. My curve was very rapid, it was going up to about 65 degrees. It was a lower back curve and I had 2 rods put onto my spine to correct it. The consultant said I wouldn't be able to do any strenous exercise, or any heavy lifing/manual work. 

As I was only 14 at the time, I was fine with all of this. However, I'm now 24 years old and work in an office job where I am sitting for most the day. I'm starting to feel like I am very limited in what I can do, I do get up and walk around as much as I can, but sitting for long periods is making my back stiff. I've also been getting a weird feeling in my leg, it's like it goes to sleep and numb. 

I've started to use a treadmill, if I can I power walk to and from work and go out for walks in the evening or of a weekend. This is the only physical activity I can really do. Can't do anything like sit ups, press ups, gym, weights, as this means putting pressure on my back. (I could go swimming but I don't feel confident in doing so). It's the abdomen and thigh area where I seem to gain weight easily. I also eat healthily as well, I have even asked a personal trainer for advice but because I wasn't a member, they said they couldn't advise me. 

I'd just like to know what other people do that have had a major spine operation like this? I am very grateful that I'm ok after the operation, but I just feel like I am lacking with exercise.  

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had spinal surgery a year ago February, in the thoracic region. My curve 71 degrees and I was 57. I was very active growing up although the curve was noticed at 14 I had 2 years of visiting a hospita and then fell of the radar. I trapped a nerve in my shoulder in 2012 and that set me on the path to spinal surgery. I started to feel lathargic as I had a desk job, and started to notice the shape of my body was changing. I happend to see an advert on TV for a product called the Wonder Core, retailing around £80.00. I looked up the product on the internet and was impressed by so many positive reviews. I purchased it last Novembe and can honestly say it is the best thing I have purchased. You can do lots of leg exercises, sit ups as it has a support to push you up, and I do not get back ache. It has adjustable springs to give you different tension. It really is a nice product and small and compact just as the ad states. I use it while watching tv at night so there is no excuse to say you cannot fit in time. I got mine from Argos who had the better price at the time. You do get a CD with it but I did not find it much help in terms of exercising. There is also a nutritional leaflet but again I was not interested in that. Have a look up on the internet on amazon too for pepoles feed back. I hope this helps as I know where you are comig from. Like you I don't have the courage to go swimming with a 14" scar. Another option would be to pay to speak to a private physio, but they will probably suggest core exercises anyway. I hope this may be of some help.

?Best wishes

• Posted

Hi thanks for the recommendation! smile It's a bit frustrating isn't it? I will have a look at that Wonder Core and just keep walking and using my treadmill. 

Does your back get stiff from sitting at the desk for most the day? I also have an orthopedic cushion that helps to support my back, but it doesn't make the stiffness go completely. 

• Posted

Hi, Yes my back aches especially at the bottom of the spine. Like you I tried to move around as much as possbile at work, but I have periods where this is not possible so I tend to tilt the body forward form the hips to give me some relief. I sort of stick my butt out but sitting down. I aslo walk during my lunch break. I think it is all about keeping the body moving. I walk a lot at the weekends too. It is frustrating but like you I was grateful of the surgery to look nearly normal, my curve is still 38degrees. I had stiffened up over time so they could not straighten me as much as they wanted. Stiffness is part and parcel of scoliosis and the operation. It is about managing it and not letting the body deteriate. I an not ultra slim but I have toned legs and butt, and having had three children the stomach is not too bad. Impoved all those areas with the wonder core. smile

• Posted

Hi,

I had rods inserted and upper vertebrae fused at age 11. Worked pretty well until in my late 40s I developed a compensatory curve in my tailbone. I was pretty well crippled by the pain and the dr. said my only option was another surgery or an opiate pump (!). In desperation, I tried Bikram Yoga, which is practiced in a hot, humid room. The heat felt wonderful on my back, and after my first few sessions I was pain-free. At first I could not do very much, but as I kept going back I got stronger and stronger. A majority of the poses focus on core strength and spine flexibility. I can now walk or stand for as long as I want, I can lift pretty much anything I want to also. It was great to go from being disabled to completely able-bodied and pain free, and as someone with a pretty messed-up spine I highly recommend Bikram Yoga!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.