Exercises for legs. Knees with patellar tendinitis and chondromalacia...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm a weightlifter simple as that. Not too hardcore or anything. Haven't been able to train legs for a month, though. And man do I lose size quickly, although some of it is lack of glycogen there too. This wasn't an exact injury, but gradual onset of symptoms. Knees hurt, snap/crack/pop with any little weight on them or just rotating them. Finally decided to get a diagnosis. Doctor said patellar tendinitis and chondromalacia. Referred me to PT for a month which I start Friday (evaluation first). I have a feeling its more than what the diagnosis is as it hurts just walking normally now. Also hurts on the sides of both knees. And yes this is both knees, not just one. 

So my legs feel small and weak as hell. Calves are small too. Genetically my calves have been small, but not this small. My lower legs lack mass in general.

Trying to figure out some exercises that will put some size back on? Or are the exercises going to be so light that all I'll do is maintain my current size?

Doctor said squats and lunges are bad for anyone's knees and to never do them again haha, but of course when they feel better I'm going to try squatting again. I'm only 22 and my knees feel horrid. Never had any sort of knee problems before a month ago. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Derek

I too was a weight lifter. Mostly competition stuff.

I wish I had listened to my doctor all those years ago.

Now I'm still suffering with painful muscles 6 months after total knee replacement.

If id listened & not kept pushing I might be in a less painful position now!

• Posted

I might suggest you respect your docs wishes. My friends son decided to go your route and less than a year later he could barely walk and his pain was unbelieveable. My own son, a fit guy in his mid 40's, started having back and leg problem. His ortho told him if he continued to do lunges and squats he would be a cripple by mid 50's. Got him into therapy and within 3 months the pain was gone. Knee problems are nothing to take lightly unless you wish to spend mid life on in pain and conditions that can't be repaired with prosthesis. Like a friend of mine that played pro football. He's had 20 + knee surgeries and has to chinch himself up in braces just to get to the car. Life for him is pain pills all day every day. Fortunately, he was able to shake the booze before it completely hooked him. Your choice, but give it a few years and nobody will care how much you could lift.
  • Posted

hi , oh dear, your so young. how long have you been a weight lifter? I'm 54'  but up until 2years ago , didn't feel any where near that, more like early 30. Then my knees started. Both, I've just had half of one replaced, on day11post op. Having the other one done, hopefully August. All depends on how fast you recover, but if you push yourself to hard, it hold you up, appently , but I shan't take any chances, I want my life back. Apparently I would have had a bit rubbish carltalidge when in was given out in the genes pool, and my hobbie of walking, which I have always thought was good for you, well that finished them off. I will go back to walking, or hiking is what we do, but may be not quite so excesisivly , . But I think if you start with squats ect, you'll properly be wasting your time getting them done( if that's what they do) and I thought I would get back to normal really quick , I have no patients when it comes to my self at all, always want to push that little bit more. Well it's pointless . It might only be half a knee I've got at the moment, but it isn't my knee, and the way I feel now, as long as I can get out walking a few hours a day, I'll be happy, although having a good hike up snowdon again would be fantastic.😃
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with chondromalacia in my teens. Just had first knee replaced at 49 after all those years of pain and gradual deterioration in mobility. Exercises may help to strengthen particular areas of support for your knee but the bottom line is that your knee is already moving towards arthritis.  I can understand that weightlifting is your thing and that you want to keep training but you might want to give some thought to how long you want your knees to last and how much ongoing pain you can take.  It is unlucky to have knees which are not properly aligned and suffering damage but that is what the situation is. Maybe focusing on upper body work for definition and just maintenance work on your legs? I hope your knees last a good long time but your doctor is probably just thinking of your longer term situation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.