Exercising with Trigeminal Neuralgia

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with TN back in April. I am only 22, and my symptoms have been managed relatively easy compared to most, I believe. I am on 300 mg of gabapentin three times daily so 900 mg total. Normally that works pretty well for me with the exception of an occasional dull toothache on my left side. However! When I try to work out with cardio, my face starts pounding on the left side. It's terrible. Has anyone experienced that? How did you start to overcome that? I love being in the gym, but I've been afraid to go because of the pain. I can't even stop to drink water because the cool water makes it ten times worse. Any suggestions? 

Thanks smile

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erin,

Just 22, tough break. There are others hit young. Most of us much older. You'll learn how to manage for you. Everyone is unique. But you will find it and life will be fine.

eddie13

• Posted

Hi Erin, so sorry that you have this at such a young age.

Exercising increases blood pressure, so I think that plays a part.  Of course you should chat with your neurologist about it.  In the meantime, do some more gentle exercises - work out what you can tolerate.  As far as the water goes, have warm water at hand.  It will make a difference.

Also, have you got a copy of Striking Back?  It contains a wealth of information for those with TN.  All the best.

• Posted

Hi Erin, sorry that you have in this age.

As i have severe pain in left side. Its like some one punching me using needle .

Now i am having Tegretol 200 mg *2 in a day. Me to used to have hot water instead fo cold water. If we drink cold water, the pain will increase very severe. So i stopped having cold water.

• Posted

Hi Erin    Hope you are having a good day. The medication you are on is very low and if it is not holding your pain go back to your Neurologyst or GP.   I was diagnosed 11 years ago with TN but a few years ago  I was rediagnosed with a close condition called SUNA for short.     There is plenty of different drugs that a Neurologyst might try you on but Gabapentine is the usual place to start.   There are lots of tricks to do with food, drink, cleaning

teeth etc that you will learn and there is always long term sufferers that will help. The place you need to start is with the Striking Back book then the next book is called Insight. and join The TN  U.K. Association. Look on line.     Exercise is good for pain as it releases the body's own pain killers.  Look

that up to.       Are you eating ?   The best advice I can give you is to eat heleathy when you can. Try an hour after your meds and make up a plate of dinner and liquidise it if you have to but you will be getting  the right sort of food. Use a teaspoon to eat, straw and warm liquid for drinking, stay away from strong flavours like concentrated tomatoes, vinegar etc.        then when your TN goes into remmission you can get back to more normal foods but gently dose it.      So go see your Neurologyst or GP.

• Posted

I'd guess that your symptoms are relatively mild because of your age; The offending artery hasn't had much time to damage the Trigeminal Nerve. It'll almost certainly get worse as you age. I wouldn't want to be on those drugs at 22...I'd start looking into MVD surgery as soon as I could.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.