Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency? Questions at the bottom?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency. If you’ve never heard of it, this is why I’m posting.

I don’t produce enzymes, such as fat, protein and carbohydrates.

It’s rare. But there’s a fair few people that do have it.

My gastro doesn’t listen. My GP doesn’t listen to me. I have asked repeatedly for a stoma bag, because it will actually save my life.

While I have EPI, I also have several other conditions and mental health issues.

Main ones are, Type One Diabetes, Diabetic Retinopathy (with a high risk of going blind), registered severely sight impaired, malnutrition and low bone mass.

I have depression and anxiety. Suicidal ideation and a history of repeated self harm.

I really think a stoma bag would save my life. In 5 years (maybe more) I could be blind completely. And I feel that if I have this bowel condition whilst I can’t see, there’s a greater risk that I will end up hurting myself badly due to having accidents and having to find the toilet and rushing to find the toilet. I could possibly break something when/if I fall.

It will end up being messy. Blind and a untreated, severe bowel condition is not a good combination.

With this condition, while others can eat some foods, cope with the medication and treat their illness. I can not.

I tried the enzymes, didn’t work.

I tried Loperamide and codeine, worked for a while but always running out and buying them gets expensive.

I can’t eat anything. I don’t have any safe foods, every single thing I eat no matter what it is, causes a reaction.

At this point I think I am intolerant to all food on earth.

I can’t seem to starve myself. I try diets but can’t stick to it. I don’t know why I always eat all the time, I want to starve myself I just don’t know how because every time I start to starve I end up eating.

How do I get my gastroenterologist and my GP to listen to my reasons? How can I get them to understand that it’s what I want, and it will save my life.

How do I not eat? Is there a specific diet I could try? I can’t have fodmap because I don’t understand it.

Does anyone else out there have this condition? It would be great to be able to talk to someone who has this as well?

I haven’t met anyone else with this condition and honestly that’s making everything a lot worse.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.