extreme fatigue

Posted , 6 users are following.

Before being diagnosed with bronchiectasis and MAC a few months ago I ran marathons (including Boston and Pike's Peak) and did triathlons. Now I find it hard to walk 2 miles. I force myself to get out and walk but it is very difficult. I want to walk 3 miles, but am too exhausted after 2 miles. Is this a common experience?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gary,

I have learned that during a flare up, it is common. I was diagnosed last year and have always been very active. It takes just walking everyday and feeling stronger till I was able to run again.

You need to be patient and give yourself some time. Things will improve and get better. Listen to your body and make sure you are taking your meds. I have a crazy schedule and have to make it a priority to get plenty of sleep, nap when I am tired, and eat right. Not eating after 6-7pm seems to help as well. Resting when you are tired/fatigued really does help.

Be patient and don't push too hard.. your body will let you know when you can pick up your pace again. That's what I have learned thus far! 😃

• Posted

Yes, unfortunately this is normal, I use to be able to walk a lot but now I can't, it's a struggle to just do normal daily activities, I have bronchiectasis too but I now have Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Pneumonia, but push yourself to stay active and move your mucus or you'll end up like me.

• Posted

sometimes when this happens, its because you have immunodificiency disease.like I do) Your blood can be checked ... its expensive.... and they need to INCLUDE SUBCLASSES.

I now get immunoglobulin by IV every 4 weeks and it keeps me infection free.

• Posted

Hi..i was diagnosed with bronchiectasis 10 years ago..also a keen runner, i ran a marathon in 2017 and have ran several half marathons since diagnosis.When im having a flare up its difficult to run but when im well i try to run and train as much as i can. Your body will certainly tell you what exercise you are capable of.

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks. I only hope I can run again. It is what I miss the most. I get out and try to walk fast. On Thanksgiving I ran a 5 K Turkey trot, but I was totally wiped out, came down with the flu the next day.

• Posted

The way my Doctor thinks I got the Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Pneumonia in my lungs is because I can't cough up my mucus because my bronchiectasis scared my airways and Pseudomonas is in the air, water, dirt, all around us and probably the Pseudomonas was in my mucus and since I can't cough up mucus and I wasn't clearing my mucus the Pseudomonas spread from my airways to my lungs and once it's in your lungs you can't get rid of it, you can only keep it at bay by taking medication for the rest of your life

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.