Extremely painful & heavy periods/fibroids - new here

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello

I'm looking for some advice please. I'm 48 - i have fibroids apparently but don't know how many or how large. I was sent for ablation but the fibroids were situated so that they couldn't do it, so they fitted Mirena IUD instead.

nothing has changed with my periods until this month - I've been taking Mefenamic Acid & the other Acid as well.

I got usual heavy period Fri 29th May & it cleared up by Thur just gone. then I went to a dance on Sunday night - I thought I was sweating a lot - (I had spanx on!) - but when I looked at my seat I was mortified - I'd flooded onto it. I had to go home sitting on a towel - I've only been with my new partner 6 weeks & now had two periods as well as horrific PMT. I am so exausted with this. I'm really heavy still today & in pain. I go for blood test on fri to see if I have anemia again, & Doc has given me mini pill to take now as well as the Meds & coil.

It's gone on for years & ruining my life - but the Doc has said there are so many risks with hysterectomy they are reluctant to do it. I'm thoroughly miserable though as i'm sure most of you can relate.

Can you offer advice please? The doc said bladder incontinence probs were a big issue & possibly bowel incontimence too?How long is recovery? I know very little.  

Many thanks - Lisa

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I was like you taking the acid tablets because of extremely heavy periods including sometimes flooding I'm 52 this year if had a hysterectomy on the 25th of February I started on hrt patches towards the end of last year and after not having a period for three years I had one within a week of starting the patches which I knew was a possibility but then within less than a week of finishing I had another and the same again so I was sent for a scan which they discovered polyps about a week later they did a biopsy and found pre cancerous cells so they said I needed a hysterectomy which I wanted for a long time don't give in to them keep pushing I've had no bowl 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Lyn

I don't even know what Polyps are ... there seems to be no end of complications we can have! sad

i think the Doc meant incontence probs as time goes on, because of the space left where womb was - the bladder/bowel walls not supported so the muscles weaken over time? 

I really don't want to have a hysterectomy but i'm wondering what options I have left. I'll never go on HRT. wish I could go through menopause now!

• Posted

Sorry caught the send button I've had no bladder problems or bowel problems just keep on at your doctor you can't keep on like that
  • Posted

My mother had a hysterectomy my aunt had one my mother in law has had one too and they've not had any problems I think your doctor is trying to scare you polyps are I think another name for fibroids I'm glad I had a hysterectomy because the pre cancerous cell turned into cancer which is now gone all have to do is have check ups every four months for two years why won't you go on hrt I'm on a gel type know there's at least one other person on this forum that I know is on hrt and she doesn't regret it either
    • Posted

I don't have children which increases your risk for breast cancer quite significantly, as does smoking & drinking which I did do - alot - as my best friend same age as me & same no kids. She went on HRT in our early 40s. It increases risk again - she died last week from secondary breast cancer. So I personally wpouldn't touch it & I think they shpould have looked at her history/lifestyle & took it into consideration. sad 
  • Posted

I've never had kids either I couldn't have any but I don't smoke and I hardly drink  I've never heard of getting breast cancer when on hrt because you've never had kids or because you used to smoke and drink  smoking could cause cancer on its own without hrt and just because your friend had cancer doesn't mean you will
    • Posted

Sure - but I wouldn't take the risk smile ... look it up - it does increase your risk. She was only 48 - no history in family at all either. 
    • Posted

Sorry, just butting in on this conversation, my sister went on HRT in her 40's then quickly developed breast cancer (estrogen dependant), this prevented me from going on HRT, I don't think it was a coincidence I firmly believe that HRT can contribute to causing breast cancer, she has just had to have a mastectomy. My consultant told me (I am a bit overweight) that the fat cells develope into estrogen that contributed to my cancer and what is HRT? Estrogen. I know a lot of people will disagree with me and this is only my opinion.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forum though sorry also that you have a need to be here, I didn't have fibroids though mine began with polyps about 15 years ago I then developed Edometrial Cancer causing very heavy bleeding and making me very anaemic, taking Tranexamic acid to stop the bleeding, and yes bladder incontinence came along with, no bowel incontinence though, have never heard of that one, I had a total vaginal Hysterctomy with BSO (Bilateral salpingo oopherectomy or removal of both ovaries as well) last December and feel great for it incontinence has gone and fortunately so has the Cancer, I was in hospital for 3 days, usual recovery is up to a year though from 6 weeks onwards ladies are able to go back to work, usually part time to begin with (I'm retired so am a lady of leisure LOL) I was out walking my dogs at about 2 weeks, I hate being cooped up, you do get (though not everyone) the infamous 'swelly belly' whereby if you lift something too heavy or overdo things generally your tummy swells as if you are 20 month pregnant and at 62 I got some really odd looks especially as I had been either in hospital or in my home for a while before venturing out lol then suddenly here I was with a very swollen tummy, even after 6 months since my op it can still happen on occasion.

speak to your GP again and ask why he is reluctant, you can't go on bleeding like you are, I let mine go on for way too long, having a hysterectomy was the best thing I could have had done and I wished I had had it done sooner.

Good luck

Phoebe.

• Posted

Cheers Phoebe, glad to hear you are on the mend! They've done a biopsy apparently & luckily no cancer. 

Best wishes for speedy recovery x

• Posted

Hi i was 48 when i started getting very very heavy periods which then led to flooding like yourself for weeks at a time, i became anaemic and had to have 5 weeks off works as i was that bad i was on verge of a heart attack ( i thought i was a tad tired but carried on gyming it and working etc lol), my gp referred me to hospital and my consultant tried an ablation in Sept 14 but this like yours couldn't go ahead due to the size, posistion of the fibroids. He then suggested the hysteretomy which i jumped at ( no kids as don't really like them and just recently discovered i only have 1 ovary which poss added to me never getting pregnant anyway). Had hysterectomy on 13.4.15 and going back to work this Monday.

Feel great but then didn't feel ill before as been on Northisterine since April 14 to stop my bleeding. No issues and recovery has been brilliant, looked at it like a holiday, okay wasn't total plain sailing but nowhere near as bad as i expected.

I was a size 10 to 12 before and still the same although my jeans do feel weird against the scar area as this is still numb where nerves have been cut through.

Hope this helps, everyones lovely on here and will answer any questions if they can.

• Posted

Wow that's scary!!! Great to hear you're so much better!!! Thanks for replying smile xxx
  • Posted

Hi Lisa

I too suffered from really heavy periods caused by fibroids. Was aneamic ,couldn't work full time due too flooding. Doctor was reluctant for me to have a hysterectomy as it is a major operation. So got put on tranexamic acid for the bleeding also had fibroids resected 3 times over the course of 2 years. This year decided I wanted a hysterectomy after bleeding for 3 weeks non stop. Got an appointment with a female gp and she referred me straight away to gyni. Week later got admitted as an emergency as I lost so much blood. Got put on norethisterone which stopped my periods

Had my hysterectomy 12 weeks later. Now 5 weeks post op, very

Straight forward no issues.Kept my ovaries, took everything else.

You really need to push your gp, you shouldn't be expected to carry on

suffering , it is exhausting both physically and emotionally. Doing pelvic floor exercises help with preventing any bowel or incontinence problems.

My surgeon recommended 8 weeks of work as I do a manual job,but

everyone recovers at a different pace, the important thing is not to try

and rush things . Just listen to your body.

I never had children, we tried for over 20 years, but for the first time in

years I feel like I can have a life, no more living round my periods. Best

thing I have ever done, got loads more energy. Never realised how

rubbish I felt before, just got used to it, fibroids really drain you.

Good luck

Claire

• Posted

Hi Claire - Great to hear you're so much better!!! Thanks for replying smile xxx
  • Posted

Hi Lisa I was exactly the same as you suffering badly to the point my life was put on hold l was offered various treatments eg coil which l point blanked refused heard to many horror stories my daughter had one and suffered badly l was given tranexamic which did nothing my bleeds use to last for some mths up to 35 days big massive clots l ended up on iron tablets was b12 deficient was constantly exhausted in the end begged for hysterectomy was told that it was serious op blah blah blah took my chances anything better than what l was going through had op 7th January keyhole kept ovaries and have never looked back best ever thing l did was bk at work 6 weeks I have a manual job in a care home I don't take hrt had an allergic reaction to it so now take sage oil herbal remedies and brilliant no more hot flushes keep pushing and good luck btw I'm 48 same as you good luck xx
    • Posted

This sounds promising!!! Great to hear you're so much better!!! Thanks for replying smile xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.