Eye leakage/macular oedema/degeneration

Posted , 2 users are following.

I went for an eye test and they said that my right eye was leaking from the back and that I should see mt GP to have blood pressure,diabetes and eye iron(?) checked.Both the former were all right,which only leaves the iron.As my SF has been over 1,000 for some time I assume it is that.Has anyone else had anything like this?  

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My husband is having the leaking in one eye also but from the retina. We also just found out his ferritin blood level is 1,385. I haven't related the two conditions until I read your post. I have read inflammation can cause high ferritin. What are they attributing your high iron to and what is your ferritin level? We go to his first doctor appt for the high ferritin tomorrow.

• Posted

My ferritin was 1487 and is now 622 after 6 vebesections.I have 2 C282Y haemochromatosis genes.Since my post I have had eye scans which have found no leakage and my eyes apparently haven't been afeected by haemochromatosis.

• Posted

That is great your eyes are ok and no leakage afterall. Do you have high blood pressure or diabetes? That is good they found out you have that gene to know why your iron was high and great the # is coming down! How do you feel after the phlebotomys? Do you have any other symptoms from high iron? My husband is filled with anxiety about this. Thank you for your response back. I hope you are feeling good.
    • Posted

No, I don't have either. I sometimes feel tired after the phlebotomies but my main symptoms are fatigue and join pain anyway. I was very worried so tell your husband that not everyone suffers the worst case scenarios quoted on some websites .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.