Eyeglass prescription - just checking

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'd very much appreciate feedback regarding my recent eyeglass prescription.

My targets were LE -1.5D (spherical equivalent) and RE -1.0D. Snellen scores were LE 20/70 and RE 20/50; I can read my phone and computer screen. I get by without glasses due to my RE. My LE is noticeably more myopic.

Most recent eyeglass prescription by a technician 6 weeks post op RE:

........................Sphere....Cylinder........Dist VA...... Add .......Near VA

Right.................-1.75...... Sphere....... 20/20.........+2.75......J1

Left...................-1.75.......Sphere........20/25 ........ +2.75.....J1

Previous eyeglass prescription by an optometrist 7 weeks post op LE:

Left -1.75 +0.50 +2.50

I'll be seeing my optometrist for another eyeglass prescription before ordering new glasses. This will be my first time ordering new glasses since my eyes were set to intermediate. Could I really have 20/20 Dist VA and would I need an add of +2.75 if I read well without glasses?

Many thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Edited

" Could I really have 20/20 Dist VA and would I need an add of +2.75 if I read well without glasses?"

I suspect your distance visual acuity is after correction.

And because your vision is being corrected for distance you need to put the +2.75 D add back in to see close.

Reporting no cylinder is suspicious. I would get another prescription before spending money on glasses.

• Posted

So the technician added distance correction to my vision even though I'm not wearing eyeglasses right now? That makes sense thanks!

• Posted

Assuming you did a phoropter test the technician just uses various sphere and cylinder powers and asks you what lets you see distance the best. The prescription is just the powers you selected. The Add is a somewhat arbitrary power addition to see close. I would suggest that +2.5 D is the common choice by optometrists.

• Posted

Did you say I could ask to see various amounts of Add rather than taking the default?

• Posted

Yes, they should be able to illustrate different powers of add, but I would suggest the standard is +2.5 D. +2.75 is a little more than standard, but not that much different. Keep in mind that with progressive glasses that say have -1.75 D for distance and +2.75 D for add, the power of the lens will "progress" from the ADD power to the distance power. As you look higher and lower through the lens the power changes.

• Edited

To get 20/20 distance with your myopic eyes you need glasses with a negative sphere. If you just wore single vision glasses that would mean you could no longer see your phone and computer well with those glasses on. You could wear your -1.75 single vision glasses only when you need them (like driving) or wear them all the time and take them off or peak under them to read (which might be a pain).

But if you want distance AND reading without having to put glasses on/off all the time then you need progressives. And with -1.75 for distance you would then need an ADD to get your near vision. A typical ADD is +2.5. or so. You might get by with an ADD of +1.75 (so it would be the same as reading without your glasses on… -1.75 + 1.75 = 0 i.e. no correction) but as long as you're wearing glasses anyway, you may as well get that extra +1 boost with a +2.75 ADD (-1.75 + 2.75 = +1 i.e. same as reading your phone now with +1 dollar store readers)

• Edited

Thanks David! I'm interested to know that an ADD of +1.75 would be like reading without glasses which I'm comfortable with now.

• Posted

I'm not sure I'd like the appearance of having the area just below my eyes magnified ...

• Posted

I get by without glasses due to my RE. My LE is noticeably more myopic.

You posted the same prescription for left and right. Was that a typo?

• Posted

Not a typo. I'm not confident about this prescription. Will have repeat refraction soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.