Facial redness of shingles got better and now worse after 8 weeks

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I'm 36 and have a low level of autoimmune hepatitis which flared back up within the last few months after initially having it 9 years ago. After 4 weeks the AIH medication, it unfortunately caused a quite severe case of shingles on the right side of my face under my eye and cheek. The most painful thing I have ever experienced.

After 3-4 weeks it was clearing up well and all of a sudden my same patch of my face went really red again- and started to tingle- went straight to my GP and she said to go back Aciclovir again for 7 days as shingles could be flaring up again. The redness did not blister or cause any significant pain but has not got any worse or any better for the last 3-4 weeks. The redness still feels numb and tingly- I have tried bio oil, aloe vera gel, sudocrem and antihistamines but nothing seems to be working to improve the redness or tingling of the shingles. I take 1 amitriptyline every night and have done since it started in mid July. I am a teacher just starting back at school so feel very self conscious of this red blotchy patch that I've been told by family and friends changes in redness depending on what I'm doing, ie- exercising, hot, stressed etc. Can anybody help? Thanks.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

it seems as though your doing everything possible medication wise to clear the rash. shingles can be very stubborn. i have had it now for 13 years. at times i use a numbing spray or cream to stop the constant pain itching.

i had the new Shingex vaccine 3 years ago . its two shots has helped with reoccurrence and severity of the breakouts. phn has limitations but sometimes it can be severe. gabapentin or amitriptyline does not help. i ended up going to a pain clinic for pain meds. the antiviral drugs never helped either.

sending healing vibes your way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.