Facing a Fusion :(

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone! I am 31 years old. For the past couple of years, I have noticed my lower back pain worsen. For the past 11 years my back would hurt on and off but would only last a couple days then would feel better. 2 years ago I lifted a case of bottled water and completely threw my back out. It was a pain I had never felt before! Ever since then anytime I would vacuum, bend, twist sit or stand too long my lower back would hurt so bad. Well lucky me I turned 31 January 1st this year, and I woke up on the morning of January 2nd and my whole right leg was numb and right calf was stiff and burning (i did nothing the night before so this all came on suddenly) I went straight to the ER as I had no idea what was going on!! In the ER they did a CT scan because I had told them of prior issues w my lower back (xrays 1 year prior showed isthmic spondylolisthesis, that's all I had known at this point) CT scan showed I had some bulging discs. Since PT didn't help a year ago, the ER doc set me up w an orthopedic surgeon here. She's the best surgeon around here (my hospital is the mayo clinic). From January 2nd to January 20 I had a CT scan MRI EMG and an injection done. .MRI showed that I had a vertebra that had never fused (pretty much broken in half) a bulging disc at l3 l4 and a large herniated disc at l5/s1. EMG results showed that my S1 nerve as pinched and had caused muscle damage in my calf. I walked w a limp for weeks. They put me on neurontin I'm up to 1800 mg. I get my 2nd injection Feb 17 and I see the surgeon again March 22nd to decide if I want the fusion or not. She told me the reason that I am not able to get just a decompression is because they would have to remove the unfused vertebra as well which would cause instability in my spine so I would need a fusion. I can't say the pain is completely unbearable but it sucks. Sometimes I feel a burning sensation in my front and back thigh. My pinky toe and bottom of my foot is numb and also behind my knee and calf is numb and sometimes feels like pins and needles in there. Sometimes I get weird sensations in my leg that feels like something is crawling under my skin. I'm curios if I should do the fusion or not? If I don't do the fusion will the large herniation and broken vertebrae cause more leg damage if left untreated too long? The EMG Dr said that my S1 nerve is severely pinched and that if I fix my S1 then my leg should get better. I just don't know what to do. Please help me! My surgeon thinks I should just keep trying non surgical treatments but how long do I go before it could potentially get worse? I mean seriously it's January 29th and this has all happened just like that.

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

Hi brittney SNAP

i should have had my fusion last month,but hospital in a mess no beds so it's now 24/2

i strongly think you should get a fusion as you have the same (unstable vertebrae)and this will only worsen.

i was nursing,fell off high chair onto my back on a night shift in July,I'm now officially out of the NHS as contract was terminated on grounds of ill health.

This site is so supportive,I hope you come to a decision,and keep in contact,all the bestxellen

• Posted

Oh Ellen I am so sorry to hear that! I am just really scared to do this surgery sad The surgeon says I'm too young, but wouldn't it be better to get it younger rather than older due to health, etc? I see my surgeon on March 22nd again, that's when I decide if I want it or not. It's such a big decision to make. What level-levels do you have to get fused?
    • Posted

Hi,I personally think you should go for it,also if it's affecting your quality of life the consultant wouldn't hesitate.i had major neck surgery 3 years ago,nobody's a bigger wimp than me classic nurse!!

Also you'd then go on a waiting list so it would be months contact me anytime,

• Posted

Thank you. I am really aiming towards getting it done! I just don't want to wait around to find out how much worse it can get. I am not in HUGE pain, but I do limit what I do each day. I know better than to lift heavy stuff, or go sledding w/ my kids. It sucks but who's to say a fusion will allow me to do those things?
  • Posted

Hi Brittney! I hadfusion fromL2 to S1 June 9, 2015. I had spondy on 3 levels, lots of pain, leg issues, cauda Equina issues, the whole 9 yards! My symptoms escalated quickly after a certain point. My quality of life was horrible, just couldn't take it any more. I am glad I had the surgery, my life has improved A LOT!! Everyone is different, I hope you can get relief! Keep us posted on your progress! All the best to you!
  • Posted

Hi Brit Get the surgery done the sooner the better!!!!!!your back will only get worse! Im 63 and I just had my L2 L3 L4 L5 fussed on October 23rd now I'm up and walking after only five weeks of Therphy,both p t and o t!!smile
    • Posted

Wow doing good after 5 weeks that's amazing!!! You're one tough person!! smile
  • Posted

Hi Brittney,

Boy, you have almost all the same stuff I've been through.  I was hurt in a car accident 12 years ago, but thought I was okay until a couple of weeks later, I bent over to get a tub of butter out of the refrigerator - and I felt a RIPPPPPP go all the way up my back.  Same feeling yuou had.  That's when you blew the discs.

The right leg is definitely from pinched nerves - it's called neuropathy. It's from a pinched nerve around L4-L5-S1. The pain in your thigh is from a pinched nerve at L2-L3.  I have that too, but in my case it's from a damaged femoral nerve - one of my surgeons damaged the femoral nerve when he did a lateral fusion (from the left side) and put in a cage.  I was bent 40 degrees to the left is why he did a lateral fusion.  They will probably want to fuse you first from the front (they take out all of your innards, fuse your spine from the front and then put all your innards back in).  I had that done, and had no problems from that.  Then they'll fuse you from the back L3-S1.  Then you'll have to wear a back brace for several months, and a thing called a bone stimulator for about an hour a day for about 5-6 months.  I think mine was actually 9 months.  It is very difficult for L5-S1 to heal.  Mine has failed TWICE.  None of the surgery I had relieve the neuropathy in my leg, and in fact, I didn't have the pain in my thigh before the surgery.  

So, have they tried other things - like a sympathetic nerve block?  I just had one at L4 and it helped with my neuropathy in my right foot, but didn't help my left thigh. I'm getting an RFA now to help with the neuropathy, and they are going to try a different level to help with my left leg.  Then there's another option that's supposed to help with leg pain and back pain, and there's a lot of promise.  It's called the Nevro Sensa HF10.  It's a spinal cord stimulator.  (I've had two spinal cord stimualtors in the past - the first one helped, they had to take it out when I had the major back surgery, and the 2nd one didn't help because the surgeon put it in the wrong place - I had Medtronics).  So there's a lead - a wire sort of - that they put in your spine that sends high frequency waves to your pain receptors and blocks the pain.  It covers the symptoms only  it is not a cure. The problem is that there is a battery that has to be implanted under your skin - usually in your buttocks.  I've had 2 batteries implanted, and no problems with either.  But on the Nevro, you have to recharge the battery every day for about 20-30 minutes.  I've read from some people that the battery heats up quite a bit when you charge it, and it burns your skin.  Supposedly they have corrected it so that if it reaches 101 degrees, it shuts off.  Well, yeah, but what about the charging?  My neurosurgeon is encouraging me to get the Nevro, but my pain management doctor that I've known for years, and trust, says to wait for improvements - although that could be a while.

Either way, I think you need to do something now.  You should ask about gapapentin and/or lyrica for the numbness and pins and needles.  There are good things and bad things bout taking these meds, so check it out.  I have been lucky enough not to have the creepy crawly feeling, but I do have meralgia paresthetica - it hurts to have anything touch my skin on my thigh.  It feels like they are touching a bad burn.  That's from the damaged femoral nerve.

It's a lot to go through to get the Nevro.  You should talk to a neurologist about it - sounds like you have a good ortho, but maybe you should see a neurosurgeon.

Good luck to you.  I'm sorry to say you are in it for the long haul. Don't get discouraged.

Please keep writing and letting us know how you are.

Linda

• Posted

Thanks linda for the info!! I have been on 1800 mg of neurontin for a month now. Not helping at all sad
    • Posted

Tomas may have a good point. I put off y surgery for 4 years trying P.T. first.Maybe would have been better if I hadn't waited. But my first surgeon was an idiot and I ended up worse. Just be careful on the srgeon you use. Research him first.

Linda

• Posted

Brittany ,everyones condition is different ,mine was left too long before the surgery was done probably the reason it didnt work ,so maybe waiting is the wrong thing to do ,my fusion was done in Santry Sports Clinic but it was too late as the nerve endings where already damaged ,so maybe the sooner the better as it will definitley get worse ,Loss of bladder ,bowel control and excruciating pain is whats ahead if not treated , talk with the surgeon ,he wont offer it unless he deems it nessessary ,it is a last resort ,my opinion is maybe it works better if caught early , the NHS had lost me in admin for 4yrs (unbelieveable ) during which time i had become practically housebound ,i often wonder if this hadnt been the case ,would it have turned out better after the 1st bulging disk removal which gave me instant relief but then a yr later it returned and the fusion was required ,now since 2014 when the op was done ,i'm left with pain and spasams in BOTH legs ,beforehand it was only the left leg ,so in hindsight i might err on the side of caution and get done asap . Some of the guys on here have better results than others ,its all down to how quick you are diagnosed imo ,but good luck with it ,the pain beats everyone in the end .
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for the input!! I got a 2nd opinion last week, and I will be scheudling my L4-S1 fusion for hopefully in the next couple months! Not looking forward to the pain after, but PRAYING it helps! I can't take this back pain anymore!
    • Posted

Hi Brittney,

I had a fusion from L2-S1 in July 2013 (From the front and from the back). Two days after the fusion, the surgeon informed me that the L5-S1 fusion might fail because one of the screws didn't go in right. 5 months later, he said I was fine, and I could go back to work. Sitting at a desk quickly became a nightmare. He checked again and the fusion at L5-S1 had failed.  I had a 2nd fusion of L5-S in May 20141. This time he sent me back to work after  6 weeks.  I think that was too short a time for recovery because that fusion failed as well. So was it all because of the pin that didn't go in right?

But, I can tell you that it's very important to follow the instructions. Don't bend over even if you can. Wear your back brace all the times you are supposed to.  You will probably be given a bone stimulator to use every day to help the fusion heal. Make sur you do it every day.

I no longer work because I can't sit all day at a desk. I quit in Dec 2014. Standing was a problem as well because of my foot and my leg. So sometimes I would kneel. So I was trying to sit, then stand, then kneel just to get through the day and it just didn't work out. Now I'm trying to get approved for SSI. I'm 61.  I was hurt in a car accident when I was 49. I have been through 5 back surgeries.

My back doesn't hurt as much as it did when I was trying to work. I had neuropathy in my foot that started sometime after my first surgery (2009 or so). One thing that really helps when I am laying on my back is to get a p I really hoped it would help with the neuropathy in my foot.  It did not, plus surgeon told me it was permanent now. And when he did a lateral fusion on my left side he permanently damaged my femeral nerve so I have deep aching pain in my left thigh, and the top of my skin feels like it's burned and the surgeon just ignored me for the next two years every time I complained about it.  So I don't go to him anymore. I went to a new surgeon who said that L5-S1 fusion failed and that L1-L2 is also shot from the fusion, an he recommends that we ignore it and put in a Nevro Sensa CF10 neurostimulator (which has it's own issues). So, I'm trying to get in to see a neurosureon and see what he says.

I just had 2 sympathetic nerve blocks to try to help my foot and leg.  And then they did two radio frequency ablations to burn the nerves.  It's too early too tell how much they have helped.

I would suggest that you google your surgeon to see what others say about him.  It's important to have confidenc in your surgeon.  Good Luck! Linda

'

• Posted

I am thankful to have some of the best surgeons in the world 45 min from me. Mayo clinic in Rochester mn
    • Posted

The consultant has to discuss everything with a surgeon, then call me back. I hope that I am making the right choice here!
    • Posted

I've been a lot of places, but never Minnesota. Glad you have the Mayo Clinic. I have Barrows.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.