Facing Operation Saturday four days time

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone who has had operation, word of encouragement needed - My operation is scheduled on Saturday and feeling very worried about it, C4 C5 trapped nerve through bone spur and herniated disc - herniated disc on C6C7 also - Surgeon says he wants to maybe put a cage on the C4 C5 and sort the trapped nerve bone spur out and then replace the disc on C6C7 I wanted to leave the C6C7 but he says it is showing up worse than he thought on the CT scan and does not want to reoperate later on down the line which he is sure I would be back with mnore problems - going in through th eneck which really scares me to death - all the main tubes are there - words of encouragement are needed please.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I haven't had any operations as yet! But likely in the future. I hope your operation is successful and that your quality of life improves a lot for you. You are very brave and I send love and good vibes. XxX

• Posted

Thanks to you all for your lovely replies - made me feel better, juts been sorting out clothes that are easy to put on after operation - been told to have button dow things rather than things that are difficult over head.  Any more tips would be good, I have put these all out in case my husband is fumbling around trying to help looking for items in wardrobe - know how that one goes.

Thanks so much everyone - will keep you all updated with experience.

• Posted

Sending you lots of love and violet healing light marymary. Very best wishes and have kind thoughts towards yourself xx
  • Posted

Hi MaryMary444

I had surgery on c5/6 in 2003 with a bone graft to replace the disc, and on c6/7 in 2012 which had a metal frame to replace the disc. I didn't want to have either operation, was not really given the choice as was told that without the operations I could do more damage.  I am therefore pleased that I had the operations.

i have since slipped a disc at c1/2 but am not eligible for an operation at this time.

am sure all will go well on Saturday, I found neither op painful but neck muscles were a bit sore.

• Posted

Like the others I have not had surgery yet. But am sending you all my very best wishes and positive thoughts. Take care 🌺🌻🌼🌷

• Posted

Hello Mary. I had C5-6 disc replacement and fusion in Jan 2015.  It's a good idea to hire a reclining chair - just in case it is too uncomfortable to lie flat for the first week or so. (ie to sleep on).  Also, button down nighties and shirts. The muscles will be very sore for quite a while as they put you in an awkward position to do the operation.  As soon as they take the dressing off, use Bio oil on the scar. I did this from the very beginning and there is literally no scar to be seen!  The worst problem was the muscle spasms rather than the healing process.  I also put a bowl by the bed because it was difficult to get to the loo in the night for a while. (Just muscle spasms again).  Have a look on You Tube - I watched all the videos people had made - it was very helpful!  They told me NOT to wear a neck brace otherwise the muscles aren't used and become very floppy.  Do ask if you have any more questions.  Best wishes and the very best of luck,  Caroline (I was very squeamish like you about going in through the neck, but they are very skilled )

• Posted

Hi,

Best of luck for Saturday, let's hope it's not cancelled last minute.

I was down to have same op went through all the palaver of washing with the antibacterial soap they give you at pre op. First one cancelled 25 hours before day, second one, after a other pre op three days before day , third time hospital went to black watch shut down of ops because of hospital infection.

I had a breakdown after that and because of my mental state I am not deemed suitable for an operation, even though I have spinal cord impingement at C4,5,6 and 7, have no upper body strength, both legs very heavy have trouble walking, also have bladder problems.

I wouldn't mind but I signed the paperwork for the operation immediately after the Neurologist gave me the diagnosis, which took 13 months of X rays, 3 mris and a c/t scan. Now I have 12 monthly examination to keep an eye on things.

The very best of luck and good health to you.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi Mary, theres a group on facebook for people with your condition its called Cervical Myelopathy Support Group its for people with your condition. You should join as there are over a thousand people with the same condition and they have all been through the same surgery you are having. I believe you are a little confused with what you have I believe from what you describe you have cervical myelopathy which is spinal; cord compression as you would not need a cage for a trapped nerve that is called radiculopathy. Don't be scared at all there are thousands of people who have this operation everyday and I haven't heard of one complication to date. Come and join the group and talk to people who are going through the same as you. They will support you.

• Posted

Many thanks Steve, I will have a look, I think I have both of what you mention as I have an herniated disc just impinging on the cord and at the other side of it the facet joint has collapsed or grown bone spur trapping the nerve so he has to do both sides at the same time getting rid of the bone spur and replacing the disc.  Hope I am right anyhow.  Not sure why he is suggesting cage on the C4 C5 level where the facet joint is bad and not on the C6 C7 where it is an herniated disc and he is replacing the disc only.

Thanks for your support and Iam worried but symptoms are becoming much worse and I have just been looking at my MRI scan reports 2014, 2015 and 2016 and it is obvious that this has been progressing but in the last year progressed pretty bad and I know it will just continue to get worse so heres hoping it goes well.

Thanks again to everyone whome has commented.

• Posted

Hi everyone who supported me, I am now 5 weeks past surgery, the original pain has gone and I am on half the does of pain killers I was on.  The operation took much longer According to my husband I was down there 7 hours not sure how long of that was recovery. I had a disc replacement C4C5 and a fusion cage C6C7 also bone spur taken away from trapped nerve on the left.  The first two weeks after operation were very painful and it was very difficult to get comfortable Thanks to this forum I bought a reclining chair before the operation - don't know what I would have done without it also the gram stick which was from a pound shop.  I had my first 4 week check and hee did an x ray and says it looks good but it will take up to 6 months for it to fuse.  The pain is more like very achy mucles and tightness at the base of the scull.  I am taking it very easy but am glad I went through it - it will be a while before I know what the benefits will be completely but I am very hopefull.  The hardest thing is the boredom but I am sticking it with it and taking my time.  Physio started last week and even putting my arms above my head seemed difficult - I have lived on live yoghurt for weeks but was eating norrnmally after a week my voice did not go either which my husband was surprised at.  The scar on my neck is healing on the outside but I feel there is alot of healing still going on inside as this can be uncomfortable at times.  Thanks to everyone whome emailed me with support.

• Posted

should have said grab stick (not gram stick)

• Posted

Jusat noticed an emaill above that says that I would not need a fusion for a trapped nerve - just to claryfy - i did have a tapped nerve with bone spur but also two herniated discs on the other side pertruding onto spinal cord.

• Posted

I think my spelling has got worse since the op (trapped nerve) (not tapped nerve) (don't want to be on computer too long

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.