Failed cystoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

today i went for this procedure due to blood in urine and pain. unfortunately the doctor couldnt carry it out because despite numbing gel and a bit of effort the scope wouldnt go in. it was very painful. i now have to have a general anaesthetic for it.

does anyone know why this could have happened?

ive had an ultrasound that was ok

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

i have had several but at hospital under anesthesia. the first attempt was at dr office which went nowhere and practically sent me thru the roof . ( i think i scared off all the other patients in the lobby area.)

at the hospital you go to sleep its all done .... you wake and go home. no mess no fuss. now , i have a urologist that will only do this for me at hospital.

hope this helps.

• Posted

Could possibly be due to urethral strictures. I had that problem 3 years ago and it is just a simple and painless procedure to correct the problem. If you have a cystoscopy under general anaesthetic they will probably sort the problem out at the same time. It's easy for me to tell you don't worry, but try not to.

• Posted

thankyou, i have just read about strictures and i do feel a bit reassured. you try not to worry about worst case scenarios but your brain doesnt let you sometimes.

• Posted

I have had several cystos... they all hurt... bad. Some of the issues may be due to the anxiety and tensing up... my UroDoc recommended that since I have some alprazolam (Xanax) from a previous prescription.. to take one before the procedure... or... he offered to give me laughing gas... never had that...

Keep your chin up... these days they can fix most anything they find wrong with you!

• Posted

ugh sorry to resurrect a thread.

im still waiting for my cystoscopy under anastesia. i asked my gp for progress and she said it still says 'added to list'.

the trouble is im in horrendous pain, do appointments usually take a long time to arrive? its 'only' been about 8 weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.