Failed steroid injection - big toe

Posted , 4 users are following.

Last wednesday I had steroid injections into both of my big toes.  By Friday there was a remarkable improvement in my right big toe and the other one was somewhat improved by Monday.

Today, while I was walking, all of a sudden the pain in my right toe came back with a vengeance!  I'm sitting here now and it is throbbing horribly.  Now I'm really worried as all that is left to me is surgery and in the mean time I'll have to struggle on at work.  Plus my employers are going to be seriously unhappy at the prospect of me needing time off for 2 bouts of surgery.  That is if I;m offered surgery.  My GP thinks it unlikely as he says I'm too young.

Whichever way I think of it, the prospects aren't good.  But why was there such a dramatic improvement in one toe that only lasted 8 days?!!  I was so pleased that it seemed to work

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately steriod injections don't always work for everyone and the duration of their effectiveness depends on the individual. I had one in my finger which worked for about 6 months. This time the consultant didn't even bother suggesting it which made me wonder if he thought that it wasnt worthwhile.

The thing to remember about surgery, especially if you are young, and this is how to pitch it to the boss is that once its done you wont be in any more pain, no need to take any more time off work and you will feel so much better in yourself. I have had my finger joints replaced and its so much better as I am no longer in pain and can move the finger which is a huge long term gain, priceless in my book.

• Posted

Hi

Yes steoid injections dont work fr everyone and tey work for different times.

I had one in my hip......it lasted 5 months. That was a result but the next one didnt last more than a week then he tried it again and its working but not s well asthe first time......still in pain.....so who knows

Sorry about you toe.....thaat sounds painful

Love

Eileen UK

• Posted

Thanks for the replies.  Strangely enough, it feels fine again today.  I was in a lot of pain yesterday and ended up taking a tramadol.  I'd been on my feet a lot at work though.  I think I'll see what it's like over the weekend and give my biomechanic a ring on Monday if it starts up again
  • Posted

Hi Lesley sorry to hear about your troubles .I have been diagnosed with big toe arthritis my right foot is worse my Docter offers me the steroid injection I didn't want it I have been taking cocodamol ,tremadol,nurofen doesn't really help in a single mum of 4 and doing daily tasks is becoming a struggle my Docter recently prescribed morphine sulphate 15 mg slow release tablets I haven't taken any the thought of taking morphine scares me .😢

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.