Father's conspiracy theory belief putting my mother at risk

Posted , 3 users are following.

My parents live abroad so with Covid restrictions I can't get over to see them, and I'm becoming worried about my Dads thoughts and beliefs atm. He believes in so many conspiracy theories at the moment but one is preventing access to health care to him & my mother, he honestly believes that anyone elderly that goes into hospital at the moment is put on a ward with covid patients and is then left to die. From talking to my Mum on the phone she's suffered multiple falls recently and suffered an injury to her pelvic area a week ago to the point she was in bed in agony for a few days and even now is taking strong painkillers. My dad shouted down the phone at me trying to convince me she can't go near a hospital or she will not come out alive and told me the government are trying to kill off the elderly and weak, he said if she's still in pain next week he'll try and find her a private clinic somewhere, he has convinced my mum of the same so she's not arguing with him. He won't watch the TV news any more as says they are all in on the conspiracy, but he instead watches stuff on YouTube that people who believe in all this post on there, he is obsessed! My brother lives in the same country as them but is not allowed to travel outside his county but is going to find out if he can explain the circumstances and travel there. Even if we get our Mum some medical treatment this time, I don't know what to do long term about my Dad. Should I be worried about a medical condition he might have thats making it easier for him to believe all this, he's on heart medication could any meds be causing this? I'm lost what to do to help, I need to get over as soon as restrictions allow but also need to have a plan to help. 😔

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I am very sorry to hear about this. You said you lived abroad. Has there been any improvement in the situation? Was there anyone you could contact to intervene? You are clearly very concerned for both of your parents.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.