Fatty sparing - what is it?

Posted , 5 users are following.

i need an MRI scan as this was picked up on follow up ultrasound scan I had last week, is it serious? 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I just got this from Web MD

Potentially reversible, macrovesicular fatty liver usually is not in itself harmful. It is reversible even in potentially fatal instances (eg, in fatty liver of pregnancy, early delivery may be lifesaving). Alcoholic fatty liver may be accompanied by inflammation and necrosis (alcoholic hepatitis) and permanent damage in the form of cirrhosis. No specific therapy is available except to eliminate the cause or treat the underlying disorder.

You may want to read more about NASH here:

https://patient.info/health/non-alcoholic-fatty-liver-disease

• Posted

Hi Carina,

were you told if it's alcoholic or non alcoholic?  Both can lead to degeneration of the liver but with the right diet and exercise..yeah I know...lol  We've all heard it before... Good news is if it was caught in time you'll be fine.  Livers have the amazing ability to fix itself but it does need our help.  If you google fatty liver you can find a wealth of information.  main thing is to stay away from sugar and starchs and carbs...everything that tastes good pretty much. I'm pretty new to this myself but find the people on here have a good idea about the do's and don't and can really steer you in the right direction.

Welcome to the club!

Sunni

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I had a follow up scan last week to monitor a liver cyst that was found by chance 5 months ago.  The Radiographer said that there didn't seem any change which I guess was good to hear, then the next thing I found out today that I now need a follow up MRI scan due to fatty sparing.  Just when I thought my liver cyst was nothing to worry about so now don't know what to think.  I am type 2 diabetic but was told I also had fatty liver when my liver cyst was detected.  I am so fed up and I really want to try and reverse my diabetes along with my fatty liver - is this possible or is it too late?  I've only ever had the odd glass of wine, have never been a huge drinker compared to others I know.
    • Posted

I'm not a big drinker either and yes the Fatty liver can be reversed.  it will take time and a diet change..(doesn't everything...lol). but the liver has the amazing ability to rejuvinate itself. For the liver the diabetic diet is a good one as it makes you cut down on carbs and starches which are also bad for our livers.

Try to stay away from white bread, pastas and rice.  mostly the white stuff.  Even potatoes have a lot of starch in them so have them sparingly.

It's not easy but definitely better than the consequences. 

• Posted

Thanks.  I have already made huge changes to my diet in the last week or so, i have cut out starchy carbs (pasta, rice, potatoes) and sugar too (I made a sugar free cake at the weekend!) and i am already noticing a difference so i hope it keep like this.  I have my diabetic review soon so with this change and continued weight loss i hope to get on that right road.  I am still waiting for my MRI scan appointment to check up on my liver cysts from last time and i also have some blood tests due tomorrow for Liver Function, tumour markers (i asked for these for my own peace of mind) and another test too so fingers crossed i hope to get sorted out.
    • Posted

that's great news. I started a few years ago eliminating sugar because I didn't want to end up having diabetes. But it's hard to let go of the bread, pasta and rice. I've switched to WW bread and pasta but brown rice is gross..lol but I have gone from white to whole grain if that counts smile I found since I was diagnosed I've dropped 14 1/2 lbs. and I've had to cut out red meat because I also have DIverticulitis (bowel disease) and have found myself a lot less windy as well! I was only diagnosed in August for both but as yet have only had the CT SCAN.  That's what showed I had the fatty liver.  I'm stuck in a catch 22 sitution because what helps my DIVI is bad for my liver and vice versa.. there's no winning with this stuff..
    • Posted

So was your fatty liver diagnosed even though you had made your dietary changes?  Burgen bread is the only bread I eat if I fancy bread, it's better for diabetics.  I've also found a website where you can buy low carb food, it's called Avidlite, a bit pricey but I just treat myself to a few items.  I think it's all about getting used to it and I know it's for my health. 
    • Posted

after actually...I use to have an awful diet...potatoe chips ,pop, pasta, tons of white rice...etc. Then I started eating a lot more veggies, cut out sugar unless it was present on it's own. Started using surgar replacements.(sugar Twin) in my tea. This after realizing I was downing about 8 teaspoons a day! I rarely use salt.  Where I live (Newfoundland, Canada) they loves their salt but I was never partial even before I moved here 13 years ago. This diet change started about 4 years ago.  I was only diagnosed with fatty liver in August of this year. Since then I've completely cut out red meat (insert sad face for steak) and have started juicing and cutting back on white products..tough but if it helps it's worth it.
    • Posted

Just when i have started cutting down my carb intake (mainly bread, rice, pasta, potatoes), i then read an article in the Daily Mail about a woman who has ended up in hospital and nearly died after she was on a low carb diet (whilst breastfeeding i have to add) and was eating about 20g of carbs a day.  Is there a certain 'safe' amount that you still have to eat per day? 
    • Posted

I haven't read anything that says there's a safe amount.  I just changed white to whole grain/ whole wheat but still sneak the occassional bun or piece of homemade bread. and cut back the amount of rice and pasta. still eat white rice maybe once a week but pasta is WW too I also get the rainbow pasta as it's made with veggies in it. and my kids still think it's cool...lol
  • Posted

I had my follow up MRI scan today and i was in there ages, about 40 mins my partner said (they told me it would be 20 mins).  I'm now feeling anxious for the results.  I had my blood test results today (LFT liver function tests) and they are thankfully all normal.   I suppose i should be thankful that i am being monitored since they found my cysts in the first place but it is making me become a little paranoid to be honest.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.