Fear of OC.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all,

I'm a 26 year old male, slim build and active tho I have asthma.

4 weeks ago I woke with heartburn that got worse after eating breakfast I had the heartburn filling for three / four days which has got better in the chest area now but I'm still getting a burning in my throats, upper chest and burping when I eat or drink.

Ar night it's the worst I get a very sore burning feeling and can feel it burning up my chest in to my throats aera as it is right now.

The burn in the thraot and upper chest as been continued for the last 8 days now and not getting better and worse also have a cough with small bits of flem also which is worse when waking in the mornings.

I suffer from health axitiy and now believe I have cancer of the throat, stomach but mainly of the oesophagus.

None over the counter medication is helping so I visited the doctor who as placed my on Lansoprazole 30mg twice a day for a week then 30mg a day for three weeks of which I have been taking for 5 days now.

While sleeping I'm awoken I can hear noise coming from my mouth also followed with burning pain. Mainly in the thraot area upper chest followed with coughing.

I then go downstairs to take gaviscon which actually cause the durn to worsen straight away before getting a little better letting me nod off after being awake for a hour or so but as time goes on the heartburn is keeping me up at night more and more.

So far I have raised my mattress 5-6 inch for my head and upper body this doesn't help.

Cut out all spicy foods, fatty foods and fizzy drinks.

I don't smoke or drink well I have maybe 2-3 beers a week which I have now cut out completely.

I'm worried that because I have continued burning in he upper chest and throat everyday and specially every night for 4 weeks now it's not Gerd but cancer, may sound stupid but I'm really struggling now and stressing not wanting to eat or sleep.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It is so easy to go straight to the worst conclusion, Mike. I understand that. But in reality there's always a huge possibility that it's not the worst thing.

So get yourself back to the doctor and explain your fears.

I'm sure if they will take steps to help you out.

Hang in there. Our imagination can easily run away with us.

All the best.

Tracy. :-)

• Posted

Thank you Tracy,

I'm just worried as the pain is getting worse and not helped with medication, also the fact I can't sleep and the burning feeling in the throats stays all day.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

What you describe sounds awful, I'm surprised your Doctor hasn't suggested an endescopy.  I personally would be inclined to go back to your Doctor and explain everything to him.

Good luck

Lois

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.

It's just comes every night and it's so painful and then through the day I have sore throat.

• Posted

The medication might well take a while more to become effective, and typically the course of Lansoprozole would last for four weeks until the doctor can assess whether the dosage is right;  or whether the reduction of stomach acid has enabled the underlying cause of the reflux to be relieved.

?You are experiencing the reflux rather than cancer itself;  and there will be a 'bounce' effect of reflux once you stop the medication.   Taking Gaviscon is a good additional step to take.    Making sure you do not eat late in the evening may also help.   It is good to lay off spicy food.

?If this medication does not resolve things then an endoscopy examination would be the next step.

?Age-wise the statistical chances of your having this cancer are very low, but the statistics are meaningless on an individual basis of course.   What is important is that the underlying cause of the reflux is thoroughly investigated.   You might, for instance, have a stomach ulcer or some other condition, and this would be much more likely than cancer.

?Oesophageal adenocarcinoma is not related to smoking very much (except for the fact that nicotine can relax the lower oesophageal sphincter and cause reflux) but persistent and serious reflux disease definitely is associated with the disease.   But it is normally a very long process over decades for the disease to develop.   There are more details on the website Action Against Heartburn.

• Posted

Hi Mike. My advice to you is go back to your GP. Request bloods and further investigations, i.e. endoscopy.

Don't leave it my husband had similar burping, and discomfort. His GP put him on omeprozole last year. If his GP had sent him for endoscopy last year, then we wouldn't be in the situation we are now.

Hope you get things sorted out. Please keep us posted.

• Posted

Just a quick update, do to being sick and also have chest pain with my symptoms of bad reflux and burning I called 111 which sent out a ambulance who took me to hospital, they did a physical and tested my bloods which all come back fine.

My doctor has ordered for a camera to be placed down my throat to check for ulcers and make sure everythink is ok.

I have noticed the tablets are now helping lower the reflux which has gone in the day just still getting it at night when sleeping.

Still burping sometimes even after not eating but the medication could be causing this the doctor explained.

I'm still so fearful it's cancer although my bloods come back fine, also in august this year I ha e a ultra scan of my organs stomach aera due to bad back pain and uppper stomach ache which have gone compleletly now, also the scan shown nothing wrong.

• Posted

Hang in there. You have done the right thing. Let the professionals take care of you now.
    • Posted

Thanks Tracy.

Just waiting my appointment for the camera.

Saw a consultant today they wasn't worried and believe it's a onset of gerd.

My chest x-ray and bloods are fine.

Just the camera now.

My reflux has gone right down now, the tablets help.

I'm not on 20mg of PPI twice a day I get a little bit of reflux when laying down for bed but it goes after 15 mins also it's stop waking me now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.