Fearing Gabapentin withdrawl...

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was put on Gabapentin in November 2016 for migraines, anxiety, and OCD. I started on 100 mg x3 a day, to 300 mg x3 a day. So, I've been on Gabapentin for about 3 and a half months. I've had a myriad of side effects- increased appetite, weight gain, irritability, emotional numbness/ false sense of well-being, and most prominantly, memory issues. I'm a first year at college and am truly being weighed down by this medication. I'm planning on going off of it (slowly, of course), but I'm well aware of the terrible and long withdrawl that comes with leaving the med. Has anyone been on Gaba for a similar time period and/or similar effects and tried to quit? I'm terrified of the withdrawl and how it may effect my life. Any insight would be lovely.

Thank you!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I realized I spelled withdrawal wrong. Oops!
  • Posted

Hi, Considering you've only been on for 3-1/2 month if you taper very slowly you should be ok as far as withdrawal. I was on for not quite 2 months, tapered very slowly and had no problems. Good luck and hope all works well.

• Posted

You are far too ypong to use this dangerous drug. Once you have been on it for a year or more, it`s worse to get off than heroin. And it mess with your cognetive abilties, your vision, and gives you numerous other side effects. Probably non reversal. First time I was on it, I stopped after 4 months, and that was relatively easy. With a little help from Valium. The second time I had been on it for 2 years, and I went trough a indescribable hell. I even took up to a 100 mg of Valium, but did not feel any effect. I had to give up and I must continue with Gaba the rest of my life. 
    • Posted

I thought I would have to take gaba. for the rest of my life but now I am off of it and feel better than ever ! My neurologist prescribed it for me for RLS and said there was no cure for it and that Gaba. was the best thing to take...and perfectly safe he said.... " you can't really take too much, it is so safe" Yes, his words......he was wrong.....after 4 years of about 900 to 1200 mg/day I finally could not tolerate the adverse effects any longer....managing the RLS on my own was preferable....besides it did not help it much anyways.......now that I am off of it (for 3 months now...after a 4 month detox) my cognitive abilities and other things have "come back"....I'm very happy about it...and I feel like a new person again  !  So......I didnt have to take it for life...........

• Posted

Just to reassure you . . . I've been on Gaba for 18 months, first at 3 x 300 per day which I reduced slowly over a couple of months without any noticeable side effects other than mild insomnia . . . that was 6 months ago, I've been taking 1 x 300 every evening since then for restless legs . . . I've now reduced that over 4 weeks so that I'm only taking 1 x 100 each evening and haven't had any withdrawal symptoms . . . wishing you well

• Posted

I have experienced all those adverse side effects that you speak of.  I have been "off" of gaba. for 3 months now and feeling fine ! I had taken it for 4 years at a dose of 900 to 1200 mg/ day.  It took me 4 months to "detox" from it....but I did it ! You can do it too...especially since you have not been on it that long. Yes, you will get some withdrawal symptoms.....but it's really no worse that being on it anyways.........just greadually taper off and it will come eventually, probably only take you about a month....good luck.   Jim B.

• Posted

Absolutely only do it under doctors care

Serious effects if too fast

Seizures etc

Even though I went thru detox under drs advice

It was hell

So make sure you have support

Someone to be there for you

It's a long road to detox but it's so worth it

Praying

• Posted

I was on GP same dose and experienced most of the same symptoms you described. Initially when I started tapering off by 100mg each week I had bad symptoms of insomnia, muscles twitches, anxiety and very shaky. By week 3 I decided to just stop taking it, because I felt so crappy. 1 month later I am almost symptom free and it seems out of my system. I was on it for 8 months and had I known that once I started taking it, I would feel and act like a completely different, mean, hateful crazy out of my mind idiot, I never would have taken it. There is hope, and I would say first of all, don't be alone the first 2-3 weeks. Take about 900 MGS. daily of Magnesium and my PCP gave me Xanax for the nervousness. That anxiety and nervousness is the only long lasting side effects I have and still am aware of. (Except that my lower back pain for which it was prescribed has returned)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.